Tesla Model S now capable of 0-60 in 2.8 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got to drive one the other day. S 90 D. The all wheel drive and electronics will launch the car without any drama or wheelspin. Acceleration is impressive for any car, never mind a large sedan, and got to do several 0-60 runs in a closed area. Instant torque. The air suspension rode great over rough pavement, and I could not detect any body roll through the turns. Granted no max cornering was tried, but I did push it a bit. I must admit that it really opened my eyes to how good of a driving experience it was. The steering can be adjusted to very light to a heavy almost pre electric rack BMW like feel. I felt like I was driving a full scale slot car, complete with the electric motors whine. Lets just say it really opened my eyes.

The Model S is today's Deusenberg in terms of practical use and demographic. Let's see how well he does making a Model T.

Comparing the arrival of the modern electric car to the arrival of the gasoline car is asinine. At the time the gas car hit the scene, it was up against the electric car, which already had a fuel distribution and technical support network in place, and the steam car, which already had a fuel distribution and technical support network in place.

The performance, range, and ease of refueling of the gas engine was so significant, that despite the risk of losing an arm to starting it, the need to drain the oil and sit it by the fire to keep it from freezing during the winter, and other incredible challenges, it completely silenced the steam car for all time, and made the electric car into a toy for quirks.

Fast forward more than 100 years, and not much has changed, as development of the ICE has continued to keep the gap pretty wide with regards to its convenience vs. The electric car.

That these cars have been well-liked as an addition to a multi-car garage says little. Very few cars have managed to offend that set. 10,000 mile clutch changes costing $13,000 don't offend that set. These are the same people who fought tooth and nail to keep their EV-1 cars, and we all know how good those cars weren't.

The Model 3 is going to be the real tell-all. If it fails to go beyond the boutique and achieve mass-market acceptance, a lot of questions are going to start being asked and it will be a bad time to be short on answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back