Chinese-built Volvo Will Come to US

Status
Not open for further replies.
The US buys plenty of South Korea and Japanese made vehicles, why not China? It's not like we don't already consume plenty of their exports anyway.

This isn't a new announcement. We've known the Chinese S60L has been coming for a while. I think it was confirmed somewhere around September last year.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
This isn't a new announcement. We've known the Chinese S60L has been coming for a while. I think it was confirmed somewhere around September last year.

As long as Volvo is in charge of the projects, design, production, and quality, I would buy one. Geeley has made it pretty clear that when it comes to Volvo the Swedes are totally in charge, even when it comes to higher executives at Geeley. Geeley realize that if they meddle with Volvo in any way it will KILL Volvo and they don't want to destroy their investment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
How will this impact Volvo's safety reputation?
Hopefully it won't that is why Geeley is allowing the
Swedes to have ALL control over ALL decisions about any Volvo product. That means all decisions. The CEO of Geeley has put it in stone that Volvo is basically independent of the Chinese company of course to the frustration of those beneath him but it won't change because any meddling at Volvo by the Chinese will be a death sentence, and Geeley knows it.

My Fram air filter is made in China too..., If it's a good car, people will buy it.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Why is this a reason to not buy Volvo?

My 2006 Volvo V70 designed/engineered in Sweden and there is a mess under the hood, it is very clear that under the hood of a Honda is much better engineered for maintenance.

Now it is assemble in China using many made in China parts, I am sure that whoever buy one of this made in China Volvo will regret in less than 2-3 years.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The US buys plenty of South Korea and Japanese made vehicles, why not China? It's not like we don't already consume plenty of their exports anyway.

Different story altogether. Australians have always had a love affair with the main Japanese auto manufacturers (mainly Toyota) and in recent decades the Koreans have muscled in mainly with Hyundai and built a decent reputation too.
The Chinese however have tried to do the same, people gave them a very big chance with Great Wall Motors and a few other smaller Chinese brands such as Chery with almost irresistible prices.
Those poor souls that fell for the low prices soon regretted it (we're talking engines blowing/heads warping at 20k miles and severe structural rust and under every single seal, weld and panel after 1 year).
A few years on and no one will touch anything Chinese here when it comes to cars now, you can get a brand new top of the range Chery for under $9k brand new (they can't get rid of them) and Great Walls are selling for 40% of their original price after just a year!

I understand that a Volvo would have to be built to spec no matter what country it is built in but I would be wary about the quality of the steel used.
But please do not try compare Chinas auto manufacturers to the Japanese or even Korean ones!

this from china ?
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

Different story altogether. Australians have always had a love affair with the main Japanese auto manufacturers (mainly Toyota) and in recent decades the Koreans have muscled in mainly with Hyundai and built a decent reputation too.
The Chinese however have tried to do the same, people gave them a very big chance with Great Wall Motors and a few other smaller Chinese brands such as Chery with almost irresistible prices.
Those poor souls that fell for the low prices soon regretted it (we're talking engines blowing/heads warping at 20k miles and severe structural rust and under every single seal, weld and panel after 1 year).
A few years on and no one will touch anything Chinese here when it comes to cars now, you can get a brand new top of the range Chery for under $9k brand new (they can't get rid of them) and Great Walls are selling for 40% of their original price after just a year!

I understand that a Volvo would have to be built to spec no matter what country it is built in but I would be wary about the quality of the steel used.
But please do not try compare Chinas auto manufacturers to the Japanese or even Korean ones!

2nd to what Jacob said.

Fact is, chinese can built cars; sadly, quality is not on par with even the Koreans.

Just like Geely, Chery and the likes: they've been blowing smoke up in the air for years now, saying that they will come into US market soon....oh wait? where are they now?

Even Mitsu and Suzuki are having difficulties retaining their market share in NA (I like Suzukis at any given day over a Chery, period), you think Great Wall and Geely can survive here in NA market?!

Q.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

All that happened to the people that bought the first Japanese cars that came here. Then the South Korean cars...they all got better and we kept buying them putting our own people out of work.

It's America.
We buy low-quality poo from China. Period.
Then we complain about it.
Then we buy more.
How could they NOT sell a Chinese-made Volvo in the U.S.?

I don't buy Chinese tools, and I won't get anymore Chinese ignition parts.
And I hope the high-dollar food I'm feeding my dogs isn't coming from there.
But look around at all the stuff that comes from China.
It's everywhere you look.
China must just be a nation of factories, and shipping ports.

Funny thing is, for the life of me I can't think of a single Chinese-manufactured product that I pick up and say, "wow, that's good quality."

It's not like we don't already consume plenty of their exports anyway.

exactly, aren't apple products all made in china?
if the cars are designed by westerners and made with legit (not stolen or copied) technology with stringent QA, it doesn't matter where things are built.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
It's not like we don't already consume plenty of their exports anyway.

exactly, aren't apple products all made in china?
if the cars are designed by westerners and made with legit (not stolen or copied) technology with stringent QA, it doesn't matter where things are built.

Just wait til Foxconn (Taiwanese company, factories in china) move their assembly plants to India, and then we'll be bashing india.

Q.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/...will-cost-jobs/

I don't care if it was made in an Asian country, I care that it was made in a COMMUNIST Asian country with no regards for the freedom and safety of its own people nor the people that buy their products.

I try to avoid things built in Red China as much as possible. Not only because of the mixed bag that is quality, but plain and simple ideology.

Originally Posted By: KzMitch
Funny thing is, for the life of me I can't think of a single Chinese-manufactured product that I pick up and say, "wow, that's good quality."

Chinese Porcelain or Fine China is one, Silk is another and some others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back