Castrol hm 5w-30 - 2,999 miles - 97 Integra B20Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil: Castrol high mileage 5w-30
Filter: OEM Honda filter
Engine: '99 B20Z (unknown miles on engine)
2,999 miles on oil

Car current has 304,XXX miles. The B20Z engine was swapped in at 250k. The cylinder head was rebuilt at 260k miles due to a valve issue by LHT Performance. Unknown miles on the block.

I am new to this, but still pretty excited about the report because it appears that the engine is wearing normally and Blackstone recommended to increase the oil change interval to 5,000 miles instead of 3,000.

G7vuZ6D.jpg

Wow, I like! Is this the SN stuff in the new bottles marked "Resource Conserving" with the swirly thingy on front, or is it older stock?

I am impressed with the add pack which is why I ask. I used to use a lot of Castrol HM and really liked it but they changed it over to Resource Conserving which I was not happy about. If that is what this is my concerns were apparently unwarranted.

Still currently using Castrol HM in our Concorde.

Nice report!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Wow, I like! Is this the SN stuff in the new bottles marked "Resource Conserving" with the swirly thingy on front, or is it older stock?

I am impressed with the add pack which is why I ask. I used to use a lot of Castrol HM and really liked it but they changed it over to Resource Conserving which I was not happy about. If that is what this is my concerns were apparently unwarranted.

Nice report!

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you mean about the SN stuff and the resource conserving. I believe I still have the 5 qt bottle and could check for the "resource conserving".

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes these engines are very easy on oil, 5k is still conservative.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Really nice report. I'm definitely a fan of Castrol HM. Other HM oils too.

Thanks...definitely makes me feel good about the engine!

Originally Posted By: g3teg97

Nice report!

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you mean about the SN stuff and the resource conserving. I believe I still have the 5 qt bottle and could check for the "resource conserving".

The API starburst on the bottle will say "API SN" and "Resource Conserving" on it if it is the newest Castrol HM. Very curious as to whether or not this is the current they are selling.

Still curious as to whether or not this is the relatively new "catalytic converter" friendly version they have switched over to. Add pack looks good. Only one run on this oil or is it a multiple run UOA?

I have long thought Castrol HM is one of the better HM oils but it gets little attention here for some reason.

Still curious as to whether or not this is the relatively new "catalytic converter" friendly version they have switched over to. Add pack looks good. Only one run on this oil or is it a multiple run UOA?

I have long thought Castrol HM is one of the better HM oils but it gets little attention here for some reason.

Same here. I'm curious as to what the new catalytic friendly formula is.

Me too, I was pondering using this when my stash is burnt up. Looks really nice for easy 5k ocis.

I agree, one of the reasons I keep asking as I suspect this UOA has some significant residual from a previous oil.

I just started with the UOA, but definitely will do another.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Yes that is the most current version. Was this the second run of the Castrol HM or did you run something else last time?

Looks like something else last time is why I ask. Another UOA will give us all a much better idea as to the formulation. It's definitely working well for you that's for sure.

Here's a brief, quick history on oil changes excluding the most recent (I have an app on my phone to track and remind me of maintenance). I wanted to keep the same oil and not deviate much because it is working and I have not seen any issues.

12/28/14 - 300,600 - Castrol HM 5w-30
9/13/14 - 297,606 - Castrol HM 5w-30
2/22/14 - 291,923 - Castrol HM 10w-30
12/9/13 - 288,607 - Castrol HM 5w-30
8/23/13 - 283,497 - Super Tech 10w-40 (no sure why I used that weight lol)

Thanks for the feedback, that add pack is not what I would have expected. They must have changed it up a bit seeing as the last 4 runs have been Castrol HM.

Sometimes people recommend upping the 5w to 10w-30. Is that something that would help out, or based on this UOA, does that even matter?

I would want the 5w30 over the winter months for cold starting properties, otherwise it doesn't really matter between the two. But since you are in Florida, that doesn't matter one whit either.

Use whatever you want. Neither you nor your car will ever know the difference. In Florida I would probably choose the 10w30 since it has fewer VII's (viscosity index improvers) which you don't need down there, but that is splitting gnat hairs.

Thanks for updating this thread.

The Castrol HM looks to be some fine oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back