Honda Accord Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own the 2014 Accord Hybrid. Base model. I like the car. Gas mileage is terrific. In my rural driving, Spring, Summer, and Fall, I get over 50 mpg. Sometimes way over. Worst mileage since new was coming back from FL to WV, on Interstate, in December, running about 75. Got 40.5. All mpg were calculated, not from in car display. Mileage drops in very cold weather. This is not a car for the frigid north. But in more normal climes, it works fine. Got a little over 14k on the odo. No problems at all. I changed the oil at 7500, with at least 40% life left. I will change again at 15K, but according to the OLM, should go 10K -12K. Using Fram Ultra and Valvoline syn. Next change will go to Pennzoil Plat. I changed the cabin filter, but the dealer says they will go 3 years. Cheap enough Denso from RockAuto. Car handles well, suspension is tight, but does transmit pavement bumps. I traded a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited. The Honda felt like a sports car compared to the Hyundai, and I had installed a strut bar and better tires. No belts on the gas engine, timing chain, not GDI. Ought to be a long lived engine. When you need to pass, there is plenty of power. Tranny directly couples the gas engine to drivetrain around 47 mph. You feel the "shift", but it is no more noticeable than any trans. Gas engine starts and stops when load calls for it, or battery level drops. Car runs as a true hybrid at lower speeds with gas engine driving generator only. I don't drive as much as I used to, and have to force myself to run the gas tank down, just so I can get "fresh" fuel. Can get as much as 800 miles per tank. You can see impact on mileage from driving with lights and heat on, as they are electric. If I had another inch of leg room, it would be even better. Back seat much easier to access than Hyundai and more comfortable. Trunk is a bit tight. With current gas prices, you will have to keep it a long time to recoup the premium price over the regular Accord.

Honda is dropping the plug in Accord. Expensive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Sorry; that is completely stupid and I am pointing out regardless of your attitude about it.

I can understand somebody deferring to not fix the wheel bearing and continue to drive the car when they are in financially dire situation. I personally would fix the wheel bearing whether I am buying a new car next month or next year.

What is completely stupid, spending hundreds of dollars to repair a wheel bearing on my EIGHTH car in the inventory with 180k, a substantial amount of rust underneath, and a decent amount of oil consumption?

AC blows cold, engine runs with plenty of power and idles smooth, I never fear for the car being unreliable, but it is at an age and value where I'd rather give it to someone who is learning auto repair and is an enthusiast, to repair and drive, then me dumping more hundreds of dollars when I really don't need eight cars.

But none of that or any of my decision is any of your business, and you're free to buy the car and repair it. For you, I'll give you a deal at $3000 for a car very much liked in enthusiast circles (in the last year two people have left notes and phone numbers asking to buy the car).

My interest in the hybrid is what it is. If I were to sell a few of my cars and decrease numbers and get one newer highly efficient car, it might be a reasonable move. I doubt at this point I will, but I will be tracking this vehicle for when the time comes.

You're free to think that my logic is stupid, but in reality you have no clue, nor is it any of your business. I also am free to do what I want.

Originally Posted By: jennings
I own the 2014 Accord Hybrid. Base model.

With current gas prices, you will have to keep it a long time to recoup the premium price over the regular Accord.

More parts therefore more potential repairs down the road.

If a car is driven 15-20k miles a year or more then hybrid makes sense, less than 10k miles a year doesn't make sense at all.

Found this on the Accord forum:

Originally Posted By: gwrace1;4294970
Just received notice that my wife's new Accord Hybrid base model is on the way to the dealership from the factory. Were scheduled to pickup the first week in August. Quoted price is 27,500 before TTL.

This will be our second HAH. We are located in south central Texas.
We've owned a 2015 HAH since October 2014. We've rolled up 10,000 miles on the first one with an average of almost 50mpg were sold on the technology. Zero problems.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/86-9th...accord-396.html

Might be able to get a CRZ for around $18k even though it's a completely different vehicle. Great mpg's and sporty. Don't hear much about these nor do I know much about them. Since you have the van and other cars this might be a good/interesting option.

http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-z/price.aspx

Last edited:
Never said my purchase made much sense. But my cigar hobby probably dirties the air more than the exhaust from the hybrid. And I certainly have been back to the dealership less than with the Hyundai.

Last edited:
Can't really compare any Prius to any Accord.
An Accord will comfortably hold four adults plus an infant in a car seat as well as all of the gear needed for all of these folks for a long weekend in the trunk.
I know this because we've just done such a trip with our '12.
Ain't happening with any Prius.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
An Accord will comfortably hold four adults plus an infant in a car seat as well as all of the gear needed for all of these folks for a long weekend in the trunk.

Also Prius is about is engaging to drive as plain white Amana fridge.

The Prius V could easily do that.

Originally Posted By: hypervish

Not as comfortably, which was his point.

Compared with a 2012 Accord sedan, the Prius V is short on rear hip room (54.3" vs. 53.5"), short on rear shoulder room (56.4" vs. 55.2"), and short on rear leg room (37.2" vs. 35.9").

You could squeeze five people into nearly any sedan, but when at least one of those people is in a large car seat, interior room is king. The Accord simply has more of it than a Prius, making it the better option.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Not as comfortably, which was his point.

Compared with a 2012 Accord sedan, the Prius V is short on rear hip room (54.3" vs. 53.5"), short on rear shoulder room (56.4" vs. 55.2"), and short on rear leg room (37.2" vs. 35.9").

You could squeeze five people into nearly any sedan, but when at least one of those people is in a large car seat, interior room is king. The Accord simply has more of it than a Prius, making it the better option.

Didn't realize 1 inch (give or take) meant that much to some people.

Didn't realize 1 inch (give or take) meant that much to some people.

If you're three abreast with a big car seat in the middle -- every little bit counts.
smile.gif

Try flying commercial on an A320 vs a 737.
You'll then understand just how much difference a couple of inches can make.

Originally Posted By: Pesca
Prius is a compact car, Accord is an intermediate, not same category to compare interior space.

For family duty, I think I'd still rather have the Prius V, with 3 times the trunk space. The 4 adults and 1 infant scenario never happened for us and never will now, but 2 adults with 3 kids, plus bikes or toboggans or hockey bags will happen often and the 12 cuft truck in the Accord would be annoying...
Other than that though, the Accord hybrid is an impressive machine, just needs a wagon version.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Pesca
Prius is a compact car, Accord is an intermediate, not same category to compare interior space.

For family duty, I think I'd still rather have the Prius V, with 3 times the trunk space. The 4 adults and 1 infant scenario never happened for us and never will now, but 2 adults with 3 kids, plus bikes or toboggans or hockey bags will happen often and the 12 cuft truck in the Accord would be annoying.

I agree about the trunk space. I find sedans awfully limiting personally, and after owning a number of them, I finally figured out that what made me unhappy with them was my inability to really DO anything with them besides carry people. I tried hard to make my lifestyle fit them, and ended up buying a vehicle that fit my lifestyle instead.

I sometimes WISH I was in the market for a sedan -- there are so dadgum many good ones out there now. It's a hot market with no real losers.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I agree about the trunk space. I find sedans awfully limiting personally, and after owning a number of them, I finally figured out that what made me unhappy with them was my inability to really DO anything with them besides carry people.

This is why I find station wagons so appealing. You get the low center of gravity and handling characteristics of a sedan coupled with the practicality of an SUV. Too bad the rest of the US doesn't think so, which is reflected in their limited availability here.

I'd buy a station wagon over an SUV. An E350 4Matic with a trailer hitch and roof rack will do everything a car based SUV will do and it will drive like a car the 99% of the time its unloaded.

IMHO with snow tires they are better in the snow than 4wd SUV's and trucks because of the lower center of gravity and more advanced AWD system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
This is why I find station wagons so appealing. You get the low center of gravity and handling characteristics of a sedan coupled with the practicality of an SUV. Too bad the rest of the US doesn't think so, which is reflected in their limited availability here.

I like wagons, too. I wish most were taller than they are -- not in ride height, but in body height. I don't have super great circulation in my legs, and typical car seating positions (seat lower to the floor, legs stretched out) are uncomfortable to me. I need a much more upright seating position to remain comfortable, and most cars are stylized to look low and "ground hugging", forcing the seat to be rather low to the floor.

This is where an SUV comes in for me. It has the practicality of something with a big hatch, but also has the upright seating position that is comfortable to me. I couldn't give two hoots about ground clearance -- I just want the taller body structure.

Honda made two generations of tall boy Civic wagons and one of the Accord, which was the original Ody.
We had two '86 Civic wagons and a '96 Ody.
Great cars to drive and great from a utility standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back