DUI Punishments In Your State???

Status
Not open for further replies.
rshawl, that is a good idea. But would MADD be willing to pay for the taxi rides or UBER rides home for the over-indulged?

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
rshawl, that is a good idea. But would MADD be willing to pay for the taxi rides or UBER rides home for the over-indulged?

Why would they? Wouldn't that just encourage irresponsible behavior? Wouldn't that be an incentive to get drunk so you can get a free ride?

Personal responsibility means not driving when you're drunk.

Also I don't think they have the money for all the alcoholics out there. There's an estimated 17.6 million alcoholics in the US, about 1 in 12. That doesn't include binge drinkers or the ones who have one too many before getting behind the wheel. There's a reason why there are so many beer and alcohol commercials on TV, this country drinks a lot and it's a 400 billion dollar industry.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
There's a reason why there are so many beer and alcohol commercials on TV, this country drinks WAY TOO MUCH and it's a 400 billion dollar industry.

Fixed it for you.

It is getting to the point that you are considered an anti-social, pariah freak if you abstain from alcohol consumption in this land.

It is fully EXPECTED that one HAS TO drink alcoholic 'beverages' in order to live here.
frown.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
There's a reason why there are so many beer and alcohol commercials on TV, this country drinks WAY TOO MUCH and it's a 400 billion dollar industry.

Fixed it for you.

It is getting to the point that you are considered an anti-social, pariah freak if you abstain from alcohol consumption in this land.

It is fully EXPECTED that one HAS TO drink alcoholic 'beverages' in order to live here.
frown.gif
mad.gif

Here's a pretty good chart, the top 10% drink 73 drinks a week. The bottom 30% don't drink.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonk...-will-tell-you/

An ignition alcohol device does nothing if you pop some pills or smoke some legal marijuana.

Well and by the time you have an OUI your insurance on cars registered to you is so out of sight anyway, I bet there's a sizeable proportion of folks who "sell their car" and "borrow" their girlfriend's, sans interlock. They also don't pay the surcharge they deserve, unless they have a SR22 on their license.

Depends on the county here - and if you can continue to get insured. There are people running around Onondaga county with 4,5,6 DWIs ... DUI carries less punishment.

Why would they? Wouldn't that just encourage irresponsible behavior? Wouldn't that be an incentive to get drunk so you can get a free ride?

Personal responsibility means not driving when you're drunk.

Also I don't think they have the money for all the alcoholics out there. There's an estimated 17.6 million alcoholics in the US, about 1 in 12. That doesn't include binge drinkers or the ones who have one too many before getting behind the wheel. There's a reason why there are so many beer and alcohol commercials on TV, this country drinks a lot and it's a 400 billion dollar industry.

Meanwhile, having a beer is arguably better than having a pop. Figure that one out.

One of my friends(ski/class/mountain bike) in college I lost touch with after college got a DUI with man slaughter. He killed a 60 year old in wrong way on highway post sports game. The photo of him and name I recognized 15 years latter.

The judge said you don't belong in jail and gave him a controversial 1 year sentence in jail the balance suspended and allowed to work.

Very lenient IMHO, at the same time does rotting in jail for years serve much purpose for society.

In Sask we have a new regime as of last year. Its now an indefinite licence suspension from time of arrest until its final outcome in court. Then it starts at a year driving ban with about 1500$ fine. It also starts with a 60 day vehicle impound.

Then once that is done SGi will have their way with you on insurance and other costs to re-acquire your licence.

A DUI is the crime that the law abiding citizen will most encounter.

You sure about that? There are people who don't drink at all, whether due to religious reasons, health reasons (such as medications), or just a dislike of how alcohol tastes. There are also many who refuse to drive if they have been drinking.

I'd think speeding would be the most likely thing a law abiding citizen would get nailed for. Everyone speeds occasionally, even if it is just due to missing a speed limit change in an unfamiliar area.

I don't think the DUI penalties are strong enough around here... way too many repeat offenders. Personally I don't know the exact penalties though I do know of one person who lost his license for a while and had to get a breathalyzer installed on his truck when he finally got his license back.

I can see giving people a second chance, but at the same time an underage college student with a fake ID just killed 3 people and injured another about a week ago, driving the wrong way on the Interstate. Nothing will bring these three people back or erase the traumatic memories of witnesses or the survivor.

DUI is a cash cow for many states. Although I don't endorse drinking and driving. I also don't endorse tactics they use or the penalties they inflict. I know someone will chime in about the loss of a loved one due to a drunk driver and the death penalties. But seriously giving police the right to road blocks and search and seizures. No, I am not all for that.

Where I grew up, (W.Va), DUI wasn't even a crime until 1982. You were charged with public intoxication, I believe. Some weren't charged with anything at all. I have driven so drunk I couldn't see straight back "in the day", and I'm ashamed of it. Luckily for me and other people on the road, nothing ever happened and I never got caught.

Not sure what the penalty is in NY state since I've never gotten one but I know that if you're a cop around here you have a license to drive drunk all you want.

Originally Posted By: jim302
A DUI is the crime that the law abiding citizen will most encounter.

You sure about that? I'd think speeding would be the most likely thing a law abiding citizen would get nailed for.

Speed's an infraction, and you get a ticket, and no right to a jury trial etc.

When I got jury duty for "criminal court" it was 90% OUIs. It was county court, sure, and Federal probably had more interesting stuff.

Driving crimes are things like attaching ficticious plates, speed 30 over, passing a school bus with lights on, OUI, the real heavy stuff.

DUI is a cash cow in the water in my area. You can get a DUI putting around in a 3hp inflatable from boat to boat. Same penalties as a road one!

Down in the islands no such crime exists!

As mentioned, the CA law can have you paying 10K fairly easily depending on the circumstance. The official DUI first timer fine is $2000 and 120 day suspension but it's raised to 10K if there's a juvenile in the car. If you need an ignition device to get your license back, that'll cost you $200 plus monthly rent of around $75-$100 bucks for the unit. Given that there seems to be an awful lot of repeat offenders with and without licenses, it might be hard to peg a tag on the costs if you have a history.

MADD was is an uproar about DUI's in Chicago. Tales of the officer calling the offender a cab or letting them with a warning. I live in the inner-city and I do not want the police focused on traffic violations. The past weekend there were 2 dozen people shot. The police have priorities. Ive read through all these comments and just think that you guys should be grateful to live in a civilized city.

My good buddy got his 2nd DUI, got license suspended, was then caught driving on a suspended license and not drunk or drinking at all at the time, he got 3 years more suspended license and thousands in fines for it. He learned his lesson though he said. This is in TN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back