Aircraft oils on cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: Pontual
JTO's are about 6Cst at 100C, roughly the same as synthetic ATF in vicosity. They're MIL-PRF-23699F-HTS specification. I use it in my cars at 10% and had a small leak cured by it in less than 3 days. But I use BP 2197 and it isn't the type TechPE base Polyol Ester, so there is no C5 acids on it to be agressive to engine seals. That's the way, so you can't rule it out as easy as dividing and conquering
wink.gif

Ditto.

Actually the BP 2197 base ester is a Tech PE polyol ester with over 50% C5 acid, the balance being C6 through C10, linear and branched. The finished oil is just over 5 cSt @ 100C and it is considered the cleanest fully approved jet turbine oil in the market for high temperature engines. I happen to be one of the inventors of this base ester and have a patent on it (#5503761). Shell and Mobil have oils in the same class currently in the approval process.

I have never added a jet turbine oil to my car engine oil, but I would not consider a 10% dose to be harmful and it should serve to slightly swell and condition seals at this level. I have added up to 10% of a different pure POE to my car oil provided the original oil has a robust additive package so that additive dilution would not be an issue.

Tom NJ

WOW!
I'm just Stonned ...
Thank you for this unvaluable info. You Tom NJ are my Hero!
Before the BP I was using an old (1988) Aeroshell jet 500's for the TCP content. But I can't find a TCP oil anymore for the health concerns. So I've got to the nowadays best jet oil from BP. Godd That I'm learning and doing a good job on my experiments. Take That Molakule and Shannow, hahahahahaha.

Last edited:
Virtually all jet turbine oils meeting MIL-PRF-23699, MIL-PRF-7808, or AS5780 specifications contain TCP (tricresyl phosphate) in the 2-3% range (one uses a similar triaryl phosphate). The old (1988) AeroShell 500 only had 1% of TCP, but current versions contain more. The health concerns over TCP were related specifically to the ortho isomer in TCP, which is a potent neurotoxin. Modern TCPs have extremely low ortho isomer content and are considered safe for this application.

In addition to its anti-wear/mild EP properties, TCP also inhibits ferrous metals which enhances an oil's thermal stability at very high temperatures. I have formulated with it extensively in both aviation and industrial ester-based synthetic lubricants.

Tom NJ

WOW!
I'm just Stonned ...

Errr... correction.... It's not "Stonned", its "Stunned", very different meaning. With THC proliferating, there are enough people stonned and we don't want anymore.

WOW!
I'm just Stonned ...
Before the BP I was using an old (1988) Aeroshell jet 500's for the TCP content. But I can't find a TCP oil anymore for the health concerns. So I've got to the nowadays best jet oil from BP. Godd That I'm learning and doing a good job on my experiments. Take That Molakule and Shannow, hahahahahaha.

Actually, it is "Stoned."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Stoned

You need to get off that stuff and soon!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
I wonder if Kenny Powers used Aircraft oil on this .

It said "Rocket Powered" car.

It said nothing about a jet turbine powered car.

Originally Posted By: ewetho
Jet oil is mostly Ester based stuff so no it does not burn off. In fact it HIGHLY resists COKING in the bearing after shut down. Major problem in the past early on with jets.

Jet oil is awesome stuff just not automotive seal friendly. Guys have tried in the navy taking stuff and just ended up with ALL their seals leaking.

Ditto on that. When I was in the USCG, I was an aircraft mechanic. We had a guy who stole some jet engine oil and the seals leaked on his truck. I don't know if it permanently caused damage, though.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Design Your Own Ester

I think Thom could make a nice business out of just charging a Blackstone-like fee to members of this board who are, of course, always looking for the PERFECT oil. We could submit our requirements on the following form......
Only the link, I could not capture the immage.

http://www.chemtura.com/bu/businessunit/templates/HatcoDesignEsterForm.jsp

That would only be for the ester and the economical solution would be for volume purchases.

This does not include the performance (additive) package.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Design Your Own Ester

I think Thom could make a nice business out of just charging a Blackstone-like fee to members of this board who are, of course, always looking for the PERFECT oil. We could submit our requirements on the following form......
Only the link, I could not capture the immage.

http://www.chemtura.com/bu/businessunit/templates/HatcoDesignEsterForm.jsp

Ha! That form was actually my idea and I designed it and added it to the website back when I worked for Hatco.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

WOW!
I'm just Stonned ...

grin2.gif

Stunned?

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Virtually all jet turbine oils meeting MIL-PRF-23699, MIL-PRF-7808, or AS5780 specifications contain TCP (tricresyl phosphate) in the 2-3% range (one uses a similar triaryl phosphate). The old (1988) AeroShell 500 only had 1% of TCP, but current versions contain more. The health concerns over TCP were related specifically to the ortho isomer in TCP, which is a potent neurotoxin. Modern TCPs have extremely low ortho isomer content and are considered safe for this application.

In addition to its anti-wear/mild EP properties, TCP also inhibits ferrous metals which enhances an oil's thermal stability at very high temperatures. I have formulated with it extensively in both aviation and industrial ester-based synthetic lubricants.

Tom NJ
Is that what is in Marvel Mystery oil?

Originally Posted By: CT8

WOW!
I'm just Stonned ...

grin2.gif

Stunned?

Petrified is ok?

Originally Posted By: CT8

Is that what is in Marvel Mystery oil?

It certainly appears so:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...MMO#Post3442362

Yes, before 1990 when TCP was phase out, but, wouldn't be of much lower concentration, as compared to aviation oils? Maintenance used to use pure tcp to clean out dirt from acft struts, according to FAA's AC65, now should be TPP or something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CBDFrontier06
Isn't jet oil designed for easier burn-off? Also, I wouldn't imagine there'd be too much call for high detergency in jet engine oil, as it's not utilized as much to clean combustion surfaces such as cylinder walls. I'd vote a strong NO for this.

Maybe in a 2-stroke car?

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
The truck is a rust bucket, but it runs like a dream.

Perhaps you could also rust-treat with the turbine oil? Technical overkill compared to the standard sheep-grease, but its free...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back