Cooling your engine after driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so here is an OCD question if there ever was one! After diving my vehicles and upon returning home during the summer months after parking the vehicle I raise the hood so that the heat escapes faster. I like to think otherwise the engine and accessories sits in the compartment and basically bakes with no air movement and obviously no water circulation. What ya think? OCD I know!

The mother ship is calling you lawnman.

50.gif

Last edited:
A cool towel on the cylinder head and a cold beer down the throttle body is the way to go.

I do the same thing! Got in the habit with the old SAAB 900T I drove for 14yrs. The hood sat right on top of the engine + the turbochrgr was right next to the engine + it didn't have a water-cooled bearing/bushing in it. So I'd open the hood to let her breath and radiate all that heat to the evening sky.

Plus, it also helped keep the garage cooler.

I do the same with the current sled during the Summer.

Originally Posted By: lawnman
Ok so here is an OCD question if there ever was one! After diving my vehicles and upon returning home during the summer months after parking the vehicle I raise the hood so that the heat escapes faster. I like to think otherwise the engine and accessories sits in the compartment and basically bakes with no air movement and obviously no water circulation. What ya think? OCD I know!

That contributes to global warming.

Meh, I don't bother. Water-cooled thermosiphon turbo and all. The car is basically idling on the drive home once it gets off the expressway, so it gets shut off once it enters the garage.

Well lately I have been putting a fan on it.....mainly so it does not heat up the garage though but I figured it helped cool the car off as well!

I raise the hood up! I let the car cool off and take a break!

I like to think that if I was a car, my owner would do that for me too!

Why not? Some ig coils are over the engine and a quick heat dissipation would help to keep em cooler. Wire insulation, plastics and rubber hoses would thanks too.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
... Got in the habit with the old SAAB 900T I drove for 14yrs. The hood sat right on top of the engine + the turbochrgr was right next to the engine + it didn't have a water-cooled bearing/bushing in it. So I'd open the hood to let her breath and radiate all that heat to the evening sky.

I had the same car and also popped the hood to cool it off in the garage. In addition I hooked up a push-button activated timer to run the radiator fan for 3 minutes after I parked the car. As you say, these were valid concerns in the early days of simple turbos and I would have not have been running a full synthetic oil either.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I raise the hood up! I let the car cool off and take a break!

I like to think that if I was a car, my owner would do that for me too!

Its a car made of steel, not a horse!

What do you do in stop and go traffic?

Consider this. You wouldn't want to wear out the hood latch though, opening it every time. Might as well keep it unlatched for extra airflow.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
... Got in the habit with the old SAAB 900T I drove for 14yrs. The hood sat right on top of the engine + the turbochrgr was right next to the engine + it didn't have a water-cooled bearing/bushing in it. So I'd open the hood to let her breath and radiate all that heat to the evening sky.

I had the same car and also popped the hood to cool it off in the garage. In addition I hooked up a push-button activated timer to run the radiator fan for 3 minutes after I parked the car. As you say, these were valid concerns in the early days of simple turbos and I would have not have been running a full synthetic oil either.

I DID run M1. Original turbo lasted 205,000mi before it CATO'd. What a fun, funky car the haabbin-yaabin-SAABIN-seh-bobbin was too drive and learn to heal 'n toe in! At 256,000mi I sold her and she STILL didn't burn any oil! That SAABin-Moteren-Verk was a great motor!

Toyota used a carburetor cooling fan that would continue to run after shut down

on the Land Cruisers, it helped prevent vapor lock and worked very well.

I like to put a blanket on mine. Helps the engine stay warm longer and slows the cooling process.
Quick heating and/or cooling of certain materials can cause long term and short term damage or changes to the materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back