Not test driving a car before buying it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lugged my work stuff with me when test-driving cars. As I told the salespeople, if my work stuff didn't fit in the trunk I wasn't interested. Once the work stuff fit, then a test drive happened. It eliminated a bunch of cars quickly, and made for some awkward moments at dealers. The particular car I bought was purchased without a test drive since an otherwise identical one had been test-driven during the cargo-fitting process.

i bought a new Ram in 2012 without test driving the truck. I got the best deal from another state that had the exact one i wanted.

i had driven others optioned the same locally so i wasn't concerned.

I wish i would have kept that truck as it would be paid off now. But i got tired of having a large down payment wrapped up in it.

No car payments sure is nice.

If you know exactly what you want and it is brand new i don't see an issue in skipping a test drive.

I didn't test drive my Club Sport. I had previously driven a base ti and liked everything but the suspension calibration. When I learned BMW Individual was building a limited number of cars with the M Technic suspension, M Technic aerodynamics, and bespoke interior trim I immediately placed an order. When it finally arrived it was love at first drive. Twenty years later the car still makes me smile every time I get behind the wheel.

We routinely request a 24 hour test drive when evaluating new autos for purchase. It's a minimum, really. No way will I buy something I am not familiar with, and a 10 minute zoom around the block won't do it for me or the Wife.

Fleet trucks? We know what we're getting, those are ordered and test driven on the way to my lot!

Some salesmen don't want you to test drive.
I always do and if they say no I walk away 100%.
If they wont let me do a long in depth test drive I walk.

No test drive, no sale...and that goes for motorcycle purchases as well as cars...

IMO, I am only adamant about a test drive in the two following scenarios:

1. I have no (or almost no) experience with the car in question, which is typically a "new car purchase" thing (but because of my obsession with rare BMW's, I always test drive, especially if trying to decide between two of the same from different sellers)

2. I have an inordinate amount of experience with the exact vehicle in question, which typically means that it's a car I've driven competitively, have rebuilt (BMW E46 chassis, for example, especially the M3; Z4M Coupes; E34 540i M-Sport 6MT's and the 03 E39 version plus the M5 of both generations; E30/E36 M3's...), in which case I have a significant "baseline" from which to draw comparisons. Most recently, this saved me from buying an otherwise pristine M3 with low mileage, which drove like a dream until you start asking VANOS to do its thing; while a moderately difficult (many here could do it very easily) "repair/upgrade" to replace the BMW seals/etc w the Beisan VANOS components (which along with the subframe reinforcements, is something ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE with an M52TU/M54/S54 equipped BMW should have done, with the oil pump nut important to those of us who truly "beat on" our cars, but if you are tracking one such car you either can spend the money to have the nut fixed AND for the ATI crank dampener or you can rebuild/replace your engine: it's not an "if" kind of scenario, you will blow the motor... I see it like I see helmets, seats, etc, in that they are expensive and a pain in the rear (sometimes very literally), but it is also the difference between walking away from a 120mph+ crash (*waves*) and not surviving one at 1/3 the speed...)

As usual, the point I am trying to make is somewhere in the disjointed text above :p

I think the warranty has a great deal to do with it. I would never buy a used car without a though test drive and going over, but a new car is just that and tends to relax us. You know what you want and its new. I image most women come used, so a though test drive and though going over is required.

Those that buy Toyota or Honda cars without first test driving, rarely have any regrets.

On the other hand, those that buy Chrysler products and did test drive will have regrets, regardless.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Toyota discourages test drives because they scare away the potential buyers.

Yet they are the #1 or #2 in sales..imagine that!

Originally Posted By: lovcom
Those that buy Toyota or Honda cars without first test driving, rarely have any regrets.

On the other hand, those that buy Chrysler products and did test drive will have regrets, regardless.

You know what, i'm subscribing to everything you say. its funnier then "Things my dad says."

Originally Posted By: lovcom
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Toyota discourages test drives because they scare away the potential buyers.

Yet they are the #1 or #2 in sales..imagine that!

So is Walmart and McDonalds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back