Almost 4K miles on the oil, still shifting smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming up on 4000 miles on the Silkolene Pro 4 15W50 in the Duc and the shifting still feels good, valve train still quiet (quiet being a relative term with the Desmo bits). 150hp liquid cooled, oil cooled, shared sump 1200cc 90 degree twin, 11K redline for those not familiar.

Back when I switched to Silkolene, the tech rep for Fuchs said Pro 4 15W50 will go the 7500 mile manufacturer's OCI. Of course, I won't run it that long, but I am kicking around going to 5000 on it then change and UOA.

You also have the option of running 10w40 for a 3hp increase or a 5w30 for a 6hp increase and still meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

43-0147Pro41.jpg

300V-4T-FACTORY-LINE-5W30.jpg

Last edited:
I am also approaching a 4k on my Triumph Street Triple R. I am using the Castrol 10w50 and the transmission is really smooth still. Triumph recommends a 6k OCI, It seems hard to believe to go that long on something with a shared sump. I will likely keep my OCI at 4k.

My Triumph is also a 6k OCI. I just picked up some Maxima 15w50 to try next time. I never run it that long though, usually I dump in the 3k to 4k range. Like to get fresh oil in it before winter storage.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
My Triumph is also a 6k OCI. I just picked up some Maxima 15w50 to try next time. I never run it that long though, usually I dump in the 3k to 4k range. Like to get fresh oil in it before winter storage.

If you dont have a huge preference in oil, you can get the Triumph recommended Castrol 10w50 from Amazon very cheap. Usaully about $45 shipped for a case of 6. Not bad for a synthetic IMO!

Originally Posted By: stygz
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

If you dont have a huge preference in oil, you can get the Triumph recommended Castrol 10w50 from Amazon very cheap. Usaully about $45 shipped for a case of 6. Not bad for a synthetic IMO!

That is where I usually get it. I scored a gallon of the Maxima for 35 bucks and thought I would give it a try.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
You also have the option of running 10w40 for a 3hp increase or a 5w30 for a 6hp increase and still meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

It's probably sheared to about the 40 weight range right now with the mileage where it is. Which is fine, since 10W40 is approved in the manual within the limits of the climate here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back