OEM filter defect warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have wondered that IF a under warranty vehicle had a defective oil filter that resulted in catastrophic engine damage BUT the oil filter was an OEM type filter, would the manufacturer repair the engine under warranty as you were using one of their filters?

I have been wondering this for quite some time.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: stchman
The engine damage was NOT from the oil filter

Try reading more carefully.

My mistake, the tapping of the filter's threads, not the filter stud threads.

If that was indeed the case then people should not be bashing GM for the C7 being a POS engine, but Champ labs(IIRC, they make the AC Delco oil filters).

I wonder if GM is trying to get Champ to pay for the engine?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
The engine damage was NOT from the oil filter

Try reading more carefully.

Agree ... the article says:

"The engine failure was apparently due to metal particles breaking loose from the oil filter (likely from tapping the filter’s threads) and causing the failure of a rod bearing."

I was meaning that IF say the filter went bad and pieces of the filtering media clogged up oil passages.

If that happened on an OEM filter and the car was under warranty, then the car manufacturer would fix the damage. They might even fix the damage if not under warranty if the OEM warranties their filters for defects like most of the aftermarket guys do. That's why lots of people use the filter that the makers suggests if the car is still under warranty.

IF the oil filter was aftermarket, then the damage would be fixed by the manufacturer of the oil filter even if the car wasn't under warranty.

To those of you that hate Framp so much, this is an excellent opportunity. Buy an extra guard and be sure to keep your receipts. Run within the suggested 5k intervals and if the filter does happen to cause death, you get a new engine!

FRAM repaired/replaced a number of Cummins diesels over a decade ago due to an oil filter problem.

But Cummins had to take them to task over the shoddy construction of their PH3976.

FRAM ponied up for the repairs but didn't admit to anything.

That's attorney speak for "we screwed up".

Then FRAM quietly redesigned their filter to the new and improved PH3976A.

If it had been a Cummins Fleetguard on those engines, Cummins would have taken care of the problems.

But there wouldn't have been any problems without the orange can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back