My 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 83,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was some design changes to the 4.0 engine in the 01 year that help the head gasket problems. With a revised head bolts. Also after the 01 year you can run 87 octane instead of 91.

I had a 2001 with the 4.0L. Only for a few months, and then someone stole it.

But for the 80 days I drove it, I loved that car.

Nice ride!

The Aurora ushered in a new era of really tight chassis designs by GM, in terms of structural rigidity. The W platform (Grand Prix, etc) and K platform (Cadillac Seville/DeVille) used at the time were relatively flexy. The Aurora's new G platform set a new standard for the brand. GM consolidated much of their FWD stable to the G platform in the mid-to-late 1990s. The final cars on that platform are the Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS.

I've long had a love affair with Oldsmobile -- my first car was an '84 Cutlass. I was in Lansing in 1997, at Oldsmobile's centennial celebration. It was an awesome time, with a lot of excitement around the Aurora, the new Intrigue, etc. They had a parade of nearly every Oldsmobile model every made -- it was quite a show to see a rolling history of the brand, culminating with a number of Curved Dashes lumbering down E. Michigan Avenue. If you're in the Michigan area, a stop to the R.E. Olds Transportation Museum in Lansing is worth your time.

I have a 99 Aurora I keep as a spare car - no tags on it. It stays in the garage and gets driven once or twice a year. I just fired it up and drove it around the block for the 1st time since July of 2014. It fired right up and drove fine. The oil is 5 years old and the gas is probably 3 years old. I've always run 87 octane w/o problems. I'll sell it and my 94 Pontiac soon since I acquired a 2013 Dart that is everything I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back