found a good place to dry electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I inadvertently left my little MP3 player outside and it rained, thunderstorm actually. Shortly after the downpour started, A mental picture popped into my mind: the MP3 player and a pair of work gloves sitting on the picnic table... in the rain. I sprinted outside and retrieved the now soaked items.

I started thinking where I could put it to dry it and then it occurred to me: the cooling fan exhaust on my desktop computer. It provides gently warmed air, and more importantly air flow. Air flow is critical in drying applications because it removes the air that has absorbed the moisture.

I hung the MP3 player behind the computer's fan and let it dangle in the tropical breeze for the day (~12 hours). After receiving it's little vacation, the MP3 play came to life with no problems.

Just thought I'd share.

If possible, remove battery imediately.
Place object in a container of dessicant; you can buy Silica Gel at hobby stores (used for drying flowers) or use plain rice; covered with plastic wrap or (as you did) in front of a fan.
The fan air doesn't have to be warm, it's the circulation that counts, but if the environment has high humidity, the dessicant works best.
Wait at least 24 hours, 48 is preferred.

The next step, after returning the object to life, is sell the item and replace it. Some corrosion is unavoidable, items with optical lenses will eventually develop fungus between cemented lens elements, etc.

Top of the fridge works good too, it's usually warm and dry from the condensing coil on the back shedding heat.

I once ran my Audeo Phonak IEM's through the washer AND the dryer. Still using them today, after a good five years or so. Granted, there are no electronics in the earphones, but its amazing that the driver and the enclosure and tiny wiring all survived the water and the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back