Piston driven AR's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Please note that a Piston Driven AR-15 with the capability of going full auto is a different beast than a AR-15 without the capablilty of going full auto.

If you are speaking about using a AR-15 like a Squad Automatic Weapon, and placing 100's and perhaps 1000's of rounds downrange in a short amount of time, then yes, I'd agree that a piston driven weapon system is the way to go.
In this case I'd prefer a full length operating rod that is directly attached to the bolt carrier so that there is extra mass and reduces the cyclical rate of fire.

However, if you don't have a "fun switch" or you do have a "fun switch" and you aren't planning on running it like a SAW.
Then I don't see where the argument is valid.

The H&K 416 was designed as a smaller lighter rifle, much like the M4 carbine, but with better sustained fire capabilities.

For most of us little guys, who don't have a government sized budget to buy ammo, the gas tube cuts down on weight, reciprocating parts, and cost.

I like my gas tubes. I've never had an issue.
If I want a short piston weapon system I have an SKS.
If I want a long piston weapon system I have an AK.

Personally, I really like my AR the best. I find it to be more refined, and even though I put mine together using well researched but budget parts myself I've never had any of the issues anyone speaks of.

The idea of a Piston Driven AR is interesting.
But for my application, I don't see the advantage.

Well said. I agree with this. ^^

For the average recreational shooter, my personal philosophy is keep it simple; don't over think it.

Buy or build a basic Mil-Spec AR chambered in 5.56. Such a rifle can be built for a price that won't break the bank. Likely, this will be more rifle than one will ever find themselves needing.

With the money you've saved not over thinking it, start building your inventory of magazines and ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back