Internet filter for my daughters tablets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
personally I feel iOS is a better choice for many reasons

......Want to justify that rather broad statement just a little better?
All those "scary apps that all the teens are using these days" are ALL available on either platform.

iOS isn't any safer, or more nanny app friendly, and for what you'd spend on two of the cheapest iPad's, you could've gotten them each a new laptop that they'd grow into, plus all the future functionality of them actually having a full fledged computer.

I have found that you can only do on iOS what Apple allows you to do; whereas Android is much, much, much more choice-friendly. If some of those choices involve restricting what content can get got on the device, Android is my bet.

How does opendns protect you from using dotted ip address directly (or within the computer code itself)? But yes, as far as wanting to filter the websites, that is probably the simplest and easiest method except it is not too difficult to bypass if the kid wants to.

You'll reap the additional protection provided that (a) you implement OpenDNS on your wireless router config; and (b) have local filter on each device(s) your kids use.

Q.

Great info. OpenDNS sounds nice since it will protect the entire household. The other apps would be good if they take the tablets over to a friends house outside of our WiFi area.

I'll have to try OpenDNS and try to fool it then later on try out one or more of the apps that you all have mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back