Ford factory fill..any additives from factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys just wondering if the factory fill has any type of additive you guys are aware of to sod in ring seating etc...?I remember reading Honda not recommending an early first oil change due to an additive they were using..thanks for any replies.

Nothing. Just maybe some assy lube with moly as an anti scuffing, fretting agent. Your rings are bedded IN after 3 hours like it or not.

EP/FM don't help break in. So fresh ILSAC FE oil wont help break in.

Use a Motorcycle oil for OCI # 2 after 2000 - 3000 miles. Don't change early - though you can change the filter if you are worried about "junk" in there migrating.

So what it's the reasoning behind don't change early if there's nothing added to the oil? I agree,I did not think anything was added..wanted to ask to make sure. I'm at 4k miles and was gonna do an oil change. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything specific added...like that mystery graphite stuff Ford was adding to the early 5.0 coyote motors lmao..

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
So what it's the reasoning behind don't change early if there's nothing added to the oil? I agree,I did not think anything was added..wanted to ask to make sure. I'm at 4k miles and was gonna do an oil change. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything specific added...like that mystery graphite stuff Ford was adding to the early 5.0 coyote motors lmao..

Which car is going to appeal to a buyer more- one that says "there is no need to change the factory oil until the first scheduled oil change," or one that says "for best results, change the factory oil fill at 1000 miles." So of course the manuals all say you don't *need* to change the oil early, even though there might be some (admittedly small) benefit. And once that language started showing up in owners' manuals, people became irrevocably convinced that the factory oil contains some magic elixir that makes the engine last 5 times as long if you leave it in.

Classic case of "it won't hurt to do X" getting morphed into "you have to do X" by incomplete information.

No major manufacturer suggests an early change, but Honda at least advises against it. Honda says it's useful to leave the factory fill in until the engine establishes its "normal wear patterns". There can be a variety of interpretations of this but maybe the moly-rich assembly lubes help to mitigate added friction that occurs before "normal wear patterns" emerge.

The point is, it would be easier for Honda to say nothing, just like other car makers. The fact that they say something suggests maybe there's a little "magic elixir" going on.

Thanks for the responses..we still do required "run-in" services on BMW m cars, 1200 miles oil gets changed for the first time,diff fluid as well...I didn't think it was that strange to change fluids early. But I do understand your average consumer is not going to give it any thought..I did my oil change today..5w30 BMW synthetic in my 5w20 specd ecoboost...got 42.2mpg on the 70 mile ride home...that's the best I've ever gotten..go figure..

When the engine is new you actually want wear to happen so going the full drain interval helps guarantee it. I know Shell make/made a factory fill oil for (i think) Toyota which was a special running in oil. Manufacturers know what's needed because they have extensive testing on the correct bedding in procedure, some still have the early change out but most do not.

Any friction reducing additive (during breakin)could result in an engine which will consume oil over its lifespan. Another reason not to go hog wild with oil changes during the break in period.

^^^Good point.

After decades of fleet ownership we have concluded that we should simply follow the OLM and save the money.

Examples abound, but recently we sold a 3500 van with over 500k miles on it. Always serviced only via olm since new. My sig car never shows any usage even with track days, yet is a "known" oil burner for many owners. Changed strictly at factory recommended intervals.

No one anywhere has any conclusive proof of benefit for early changes. It's one of those "feel good' things. I used to do it, but no more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back