950 million Android phones can be hijacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
950 million Android phones can be hijacked by malicious text messages

Almost all Android mobile devices available today are susceptible to hacks that can execute malicious code when they are sent a malformed text message or the user is lured to a malicious website, a security researcher reported Monday.

Quote:
Interestingly, the Stagefright vulnerability also affects Firefox on all platforms except Linux, and that includes the Firefox OS. Firefox developers have patched the vulnerability in versions 38 and up.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/07/...-text-messages/

This whole internets thing may have been a bad idea. Clearly nothing is even remotely safe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Suspicious text from someone you don't know = delete.

did you read the article?

They can send you a text. The preview runs it..
then they delete the text and you never see it.. but your phone was just trojan'ed

Even while you are sleeping at night whatever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Anything can be hacked! Once you are comfortable with that statement life gets easier.
Care to explain this further? I don't see how knowing all your sensitive info is out there in numerous places just waiting to be exploited makes life easier.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
And that's why I'll never set foot in a self driving car, self flying plane and so on...

Most commercial jets are already self-flying to some extent.

Well, autopilot and autoland aren't the same thing, and there are different categories of autoland depending on the aircraft and training.

That article did not explain why Google cannot fix it when it's a bug in Android code.

"Even Google's Nexus 5 handsets, which typically receive security fixes long before most other Android handsets - remain vulnerable."

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
That article did not explain why Google cannot fix it when it's a bug in Android code.

They did not say they cannot fix it. It's probably just a matter of time before a patch is ready.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Suspicious text from someone you don't know = delete.

did you read the article?

They can send you a text. The preview runs it..
then they delete the text and you never see it.. but your phone was just trojan'ed

Even while you are sleeping at night whatever.

No, skimmed it only. Thanks for the clarification.

Autopilot/autoland are available on many aircraft. There's still pilots in there with a disconnect button. If they ever take the people out of airplanes, I won't have a job, nor will I ride in them any more.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Anything can be hacked! Once you are comfortable with that statement life gets easier.
Care to explain this further? I don't see how knowing all your sensitive info is out there in numerous places just waiting to be exploited makes life easier.

That whole "thinks I cannot change" mantra.

Why worry when worrying does nothing to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back