Opinion about the Colt 1911 XSE series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking hard at the Colt 1911 XSE series. I don't want to spend the money for a Gold Cup, and the Government Model 1911 looks too blah to me. I'm feeling nostalgic from my days in the Marines, so I want a Colt - nothing else.

smile.gif

I like some of the features that come stock with the XSE (i.e., Novak sights, upgraded trigger, etc.), and the XSE seems to get pretty good reviews from the people who own it.

I'll likely apply for my CCW permit, and it seems like it would be a great choice for a good price.

Opinions?

Thank you,
Ed

For a CCW get a plastic pistol. Costs less works better for the intended useage.

They are excellent pistols, the ones build in the last few years are the best of the best.

They are also discontinued, save for the Combat Elite and Rail Gun, so get em now...

If you are really going to carry it, you may like the Lightweight Government model.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I'll likely apply for my CCW permit, and it seems like it would be a great choice for a good price.

I'm not sure of the connection, here.

If California law requires one to have a concealed handgun permit to purchase a handgun, then go for it. If, however, you are considering carrying a Colt .45 concealed, then I'd suggest that there are better choices.

If you want to carry a Colt, the fullsize 1911 is not the best or easiest. A commander sized gun would be better, or you could look at the Mustang.

Colt is a darn good pistol, but usually they are priced a bit high for what they are.

I'd argue that there may not be a better carry pistol...
wink.gif

But you always have to define "better" or "best" before you can discuss it.

I've carried 1911's of all ilk, from Defender to Special Combat and have little trouble concealing any of them.

Government models tend to be a bit uncomfortable to sit for long with for me though.

I usually prefer to carry an XSE Commander, Though I do like the XSE LTW Government and if I'm standing or walking I will take it.

Even Gold Cup Trophies carry fine with the rounded rear sight blade now in use, though the wide trigger can be an issue in some holsters.

If you carried a 1911 in combat like I did in Vietnam it means that you may have a comfort zone with that gun that makes it a good choice for concealed carry. You'll just have to decide that its size and weight are worth some extra effort to carry around. Just be sure you spend some time shooting and trying on other pistols. Maybe get some instruction from a qualified instructor at a gun range and some paper punching practice just to make sure you make a choice that works for you. The final decision should be done after the hands on work is completed.

I have a friend who did carry a full size 1911 and after about 2 years he got a smaller Ruger LC9 to carry. Too much weight.

The Colt XSE series are fantastic, and can make a good carry gun. When I want to carry concealed my favorite is a Colt Combat Commander, but would not hesitate to carry a full-size Government model. The 1911-pattern pistol has a much slimmer profile than most of the double-stacked stuff that's out there, and therefore easier to carry concealed. My favorite carry gun is a FN Hi-Power, but its fat grip makes it harder to conceal.

Probably the best built 1911 since the series 70. But priced to high where you have to give other manufactures consideration.

But.... If you have to have a Colt, is probably the best built modern era Colt 1911

The 1911 is a target gun. A gun for the range. There are WAY better guns out there for concealed carry for a number of reasons.

I wouldn't carry a 1911 that was built and tuned by John Moses Browning himself.

A lot of old timers are happy with the gun because that whats they were trained on and used in the military. I cant really fault that line of thinking, but I would also offer that if that same salty combat vet took the time to learn about the new polymer pistols and got trained in their use, they also would have no use for a 1911 as a defensive use firearm.

Originally Posted By: Skid
IMO, the best 1911A1 is a Norinco. 5100 tool steel. Might be hard to find used in California though.

Hard to find in general. Also it is a plain jane model, and most 1911 pistol smiths hate to work on them as it chews up their tools when you have to do any machining.

Plus I am guessing the guy that fought against communists in Vietnman is not going to buy a communist produced 1911.

I had a recent production XSE Commander .45 I carried a little bit. Very well made gun. Almost all Colt's I have seen in the last 10 years have had outstanding quality control from the factory, and at a competitive price.

I also had a Combat Commander 9mm, pre-80 type from c. 1980. Really liked that 9mm in that platform. Vastly more controllable, more pleasant to shoot, and despite being in a .45 platform, was still slimmer than a lot of modern 9mms. Great carry gun. Heretical sounding to many 1911 fans (as I would have thought so myself many years ago), but it's a great combination - Commander 9mm. colt has brought them back again for the first time in like 25 years.

The 9mm is built on the 38 super platform versus the 45acp platform. There are differences, but yes the old single stacks are very slim.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The 9mm is built on the 38 super platform versus the 45acp platform. There are differences, but yes the old single stacks are very slim.

Care to explain what you think the difference is in the 38 and 45 "platform"?

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
I also had a Combat Commander 9mm, pre-80 type from c. 1980. Really liked that 9mm in that platform. Vastly more controllable, more pleasant to shoot, and despite being in a .45 platform, was still slimmer than a lot of modern 9mms. Great carry gun. Heretical sounding to many 1911 fans (as I would have thought so myself many years ago), but it's a great combination - Commander 9mm. colt has brought them back again for the first time in like 25 years.

I also have one of those pre-Series 80 Combat Commanders in 9mm. Does yours have the "lightening cuts" milled into the inside of the slide? Mine does. Like this pic: http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/onexco/Gun Collection/Colt_Slide_Lightened_9mm_01a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back