OIl level sight glass ....ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
For bikes with a sight glass...how difficult would it have been for the manufacturer to locate the sight glass on a spot on the engine case where you could check the oil level with the bike on the kickstand, instead of having the have the bike level? And these guys are SUPPOSED to be engineers...

Sometimes I don't think engineers really worry about maintenance or repair. They have to make a product they can market and be in compliance with the myriad of government regulations. Seems like the other stuff is more of an afterthought anymore.

Look at where the engineers at GM put the starter on a Northstar engine as a perfect example. Or the people at Chrysler and where they put the water pump on the 2.7.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Perhaps the next gadget will be a camera for the sight glass and an oil level screen.

I am surprised that on some bike or car, especially high end, there is not an oil level gauge similar to a fuel gauge. That way some lazy person with a stacked wallet doesn't have to get off their butt to manually check fluid levels.

the sight glass on my suzuki gz is easy to view...just gotta be careful to keep the bikebalanced while holding it upright (and kneeling down to view the sight glass); the sight glass on the yamaha v star 650 that I used to have was in a completely useless place tucked in behind a peg and I had to have somebody lay on their back or belly to see the [censored] thing...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
For bikes with a sight glass...how difficult would it have been for the manufacturer to locate the sight glass on a spot on the engine case where you could check the oil level with the bike on the kickstand, instead of having the have the bike level? And these guys are SUPPOSED to be engineers...

Easy to do but difficult to calibrate since most bikes comes with adjustable suspension
which would require the owners to recalibrate the level in their sight gauge...

Majority of Engineers are savory riders with maintenance stands... center stands are not
only unwanted weight they are dangerous if you drag one in a corner and unload the grip
in the rear contact patch...

Forget center stands heck even the exhaust is in danger of touching!!!

274774505_13418dac8b_z.jpg

PitBul Stands...
315048023_c2710a3b99_o.jpg

Originally Posted By: WANG
So long as the glass is on the right side of the bike, it's an easy day. Grab the right grip, squeeze the front brake, pull the bike off the sidestand while taking a knee and observe the sight glass. Much better than dipstick, as far as I'm concerned.

+1 here. It did take me a bit to get adjusted to the process, though. On my XT225 it isn't a problem as it is so light. On my KLR, however, it has a lot of weight and luggage coming over. Took me a bit of practice.

Of course, then I realized I can actually stand upright while straddling the bike and look over to see the sight glass. The benefits of being tall, I suppose
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: WANG
So long as the glass is on the right side of the bike, it's an easy day. Grab the right grip, squeeze the front brake, pull the bike off the sidestand while taking a knee and observe the sight glass. Much better than dipstick, as far as I'm concerned.

+1 no issues on my FZ1 or GS1085.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Sometimes I don't think engineers really worry about maintenance or repair. They have to make a product they can market and be in compliance with the myriad of government regulations. Seems like the other stuff is more of an afterthought anymore.

Look at where the engineers at GM put the starter on a Northstar engine as a perfect example. Or the people at Chrysler and where they put the water pump on the 2.7.

You are absolutely correct! Cars, bikes, etc. are engineered for "production", not maintenance. Their charge is to make it as economical as possible to produce. We may not like it, but that's the way it is.

Mike

It seems the poor engineers are having to cram more and more 'stuff' into small available dimensions, all the while starting from scratch every few years when a model gets redesigned or gets 'improved' or 'modernized' or whatever.

Taking your time on the motorcycle the slower it is going seems to make one a better rider at speed. Like, when doing maintenance being slow, thorough, and deliberate can possibly transfer into your riding and make you better.

Case in point, this thread. As been said by the smiling, self-proclaimed tall guy...hold the lever with two fore-fingers, the throttle with the other three and get a feel for the steering. Slowly kneel and pull the bike towards you while using the left hand to steady the bike. Then check the level. Probably not a good idea first thing in the morning or after 'having a few'.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I've never had a problem with a sight glass, in fact I always thought it was a clever idea.

+1
With or without a centerstand, it's dead-simple.

My bikes have all had sight glass. Half had a centerstand, half did not. The ones without a centerstand have all had the sight-glass on the right (opposite side from the sidestand), making it easy to check the sight-glass by pulling the bike off the sidestand to the balance point while squatting to the right of the bike.

If a bike had the sight-glass on the left and didn't have a centerstand, I might complain about it too. But the problem wouldn't be that it had a sight-glass, it would be that it's not in the best location. I think there were some bikes like that.

Originally Posted By: pbm
If you try to check your oil without a helper it's very easy to drop your bike (while trying to have it level).

I've never found that to be the case. What bike are you referring to? Sight glass on left or right? If the former, that sucks (can you add a centerstand?). If the latter, maybe you're doing it wrong.

Perhaps the next gadget will be a camera for the sight glass and an oil level screen.

I am surprised that on some bike or car, especially high end, there is not an oil level gauge similar to a fuel gauge. That way some lazy person with a stacked wallet doesn't have to get off their butt to manually check fluid levels.

They may not be high end, but most Renaults have an oil level gauge. On the old ones it was analog, and only worked when the key was on and the engine was off. On newer Renaults it is digital; when you turn the key on it says "Oil OK" for about a minute. If you press the odometer reset button once with the engine not running it will display a series of zeros, six zeros mean that it is completely full. I believe Peugeots and Citroens have a similar system.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327

They may not be high end, but most Renaults have an oil level gauge. On the old ones it was analog, and only worked when the key was on and the engine was off. On newer Renaults it is digital; when you turn the key on it says "Oil OK" for about a minute. If you press the odometer reset button once with the engine not running it will display a series of zeros, six zeros mean that it is completely full. I believe Peugeots and Citroens have a similar system.

Never had the chance to tinker with French cars. It seems like a smart idea, especially with the increasing laziness/ignorance of vehicle owners in regards to checking oil. I would think this would be just as or even more useful than the oil life monitors you see.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327

Not as much to break on a dipstick.

Last edited:
Which ever 'engineer' decided on an oil level sight glass while removing the center-stand should be fired. It now takes 2 people or mirrors (and hawk like eye sight) to check one's oil level. This is supposed to be progress?.

Possibly the guy who designed the engine to utilize a sight glass had nothing to do with the decision to include a center stand.

I have motorcycles with sight glass and dip stick, the sight glass equipped has a center stand. I like the sight glass for several reasons, it is quick and easy to use, and I can tell the condition of the oil. I can also see how much foaming the oil has after a high speed run.

I'm somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to motorcycles, and believe complexity adds weight and reduces reliability. They seem to be quite reliable, but putting a glass window below the oil level isn't as reliable as a dipstick. Mine even has a windshield wiper with a turn of a screwdriver.

Which ever 'engineer' decided on an oil level sight glass while removing the center-stand should be fired. It now takes 2 people or mirrors (and hawk like eye sight) to check one's oil level. This is supposed to be progress?.

I will wager that it was an "accountant" that decided, aka bean counters..... (but I see your point)

I use a mechanics mirror while sitting on my bike and am used to it now.

Last edited:
'86 Kawasaki 454 sight glass and center stand; '15 Yamaha FZ-07 sight glass and no center stand; '01 Suzuki DRZ-400 no sight glass, no center stand, dipstick.

Kawi is easy... warm the bike up, lift it up on the center stand and check the oil level. The sight glass on the FZ-07 is super low, so you have to get on a knee, bend your head down, push/hold the bike upright and check the level.

Definitely not as convenient, but not terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back