Late model Grand Caravan spare tire..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

After 2yrs and ~38K miles of hardship.. er.. I mean ownership, I decided a few days ago I better drop and check the spare tire on our 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan SE.

For those that aren't aware, the spare on ~2012+ (not positive on the year it started) Grand Caravan/Town and Country vans are winch supported under the van, centered between the front seats. The hex nut that actuates the winch is accessed through the floor and center console if so equipped. On our more basic SE model, we have the small, between the seats console which I removed for easier pass-through given the constant kid mayhem and such. A tool kit stowed in the hatch area allows you to crank the spare down. The spare comes down in a form-fitting plastic bowl with enough cable slack to slide the plastic housing and tire out the side of the van. There's two spring loaded fingers on the winch hub that you squeeze inward to release the winch cable from the spare tire wheel hub.

I had a bit of dirt and gravel on the spare and in the holder, but not as bad as I thought. What I could see of the cable and associated hardware looked shiny and new yet, but I sprayed it all down with spray lube anyway.

The spare tire is a scary bike tire looking donut, inflated to 60psig.

I cleaned the tire/wheel, carrier, checked pressure and put it back to normal.

The only tip I have is, when you're cranking the assembly back up, make sure the spare tire carrier lines up correctly and slides under the top cover properly. The top cover should overlap the tire carrier to make it a more weather proof assembly and seat-up properly.

It's a real easy process in your driveway. I couldn't imagine it in the dark, under inclement conditions. Ugh..

This started in 2005, with the introduction of Stow 'n' Go. The spare used to live under the rear of the van, and was quite easy to access, but they needed that space for the third row storage well. It is hard to access the spare in its new location, yes. The Toyota Sienna had a similar arrangement in the previous generation -- I'm not sure about the current one. In fact, the AWD model of the Sienna send the propeller shaft through the spare tire area, so the AWD vans were equipped with runflat tires. Interesting work around.

The original Caravan made fun of the fact that the spare tire on Ford Aerostar was under the passenger seat inside the vehicle.Now that sounds like a good idea.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The original Caravan made fun of the fact that the spare tire on Ford Aerostar was under the passenger seat inside the vehicle.Now that sounds like a good idea.

I'd be making fun of the minivan that had the engine under the passenger seat!

Don't automatically assume that there's a tire under there....

The spare tire on the Town and Country/Grand Caravan is a $295 OPTION on the 2014 and newer models.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I'd be making fun of the minivan that had the engine under the passenger seat!

The world made fun of the Toyota Previa for many reasons, that one included...

Just leased 3 - 2015 caravans in our fleet to use as shuttles etc.. no worry's on removing the spare, there isn't one!
You get a nifty tire inflator kit inside the rear panel.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I'm curious. Have you had a bad experience with this vehicle?

It's been a great van for us, especially because it was $20K +TTL new. We had two issues very early on. A slight power steering pump leak and a low w/s washer fluid light that stayed on. PS pump was replaced as was the sending unit for the w/s washer fluid tank.

No spare? I would not venture very far or at night or in bad weather that way.

A donut spare is bad enough. I have one in my Honda. It's at least a small, light vehicle. I can always run the donut on a rear wheel in the case of a flat.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I'm curious. Have you had a bad experience with this vehicle?

It's been a great van for us, especially because it was $20K +TTL new. We had two issues very early on. A slight power steering pump leak and a low w/s washer fluid light that stayed on. PS pump was replaced as was the sending unit for the w/s washer fluid tank.

That doesn't sound like "hardship" to me...

Let me introduce you to the Ford Fusion Hybrid that we have here at the office. It seems to be at the dealership more for recalls/repairs, than it is in our parking lot.

Umm my dad had 7 Aerostars as company cars between 90,& 2k... All basic models( unless you count AC, auto w/OD, and a tape deck ) I don't remember the tire being in the cabin of any of them.... It was winched up under the load floor behind the diff.

Mrsilv04, the hardship crack was in regards to the paces my family puts the poor van through

Originally Posted By: earlyre

Umm my dad had 7 Aerostars as company cars between 90,& 2k... All basic models( unless you count AC, auto w/OD, and a tape deck ) I don't remember the tire being in the cabin of any of them.... It was winched up under the load floor behind the diff.

I've owned four Aeros, from early years to late years. They didn't change much during the 10+ year run and all of mine had the spare underneath, behind the differential also.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: earlyre

I've owned four Aeros, from early years to late years. They didn't change much during the 10+ year run and all of mine had the spare underneath, behind the differential also.

Ford Winstar maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back