a 1200 mile funeral run change oil before or after

Status
Not open for further replies.
I all of a sudden need to make a funeral run. Aprox. 1200 miles. I have Mobil Super High Mileage oil in the vehicle, and have 4800 miles on that oil. It was changed in Feb. of this year. Should I change before or after the trip?

How were the first 4800 miles driven? If short tripped a lot, then yes. We really need to know what car!

IF you drove a lot of hwy, maybe not change it. But is there a warranty to worry about?

Sounds like it will be mostly highway driving so I say top it off, check the air pressure, and change it when you get back.

Go for it! No issues. Just check that it doesn't consume a slight amount when running at that temperature for extended period of time.

Just check the level and add any if needed. I wouldn't let some kid from iffy lube touch my car before a trip.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Sorry for your loss. I would do it after

+1 in both sympathy and opinion. I would top off the fluids and check the tire pressure before you go. Deal with the oil change after.

Thanks for sympathies. My wife needs it more than I do. We been married 6 years, and its her uncle who lives out of state, and I didn't get to know him that well. its a 2003 Chevy Blazer, so no warranty to worry about. 7 mile commute to work, which includes some stop signs and traffic lights so its not a lot of sitting around idling. On weekends it will take longer trips, and has some highway miles in that 4800 miles. According to the OM for city/severe driving, my commute seems just to fall outside of there city/severe driving criteria.

Originally Posted By: stchman
IIRC, Mobil Super High Mileage is a conventional oil and most conventional oils are good for about 5K, so change it.

+1

You can never be wrong if you're slightly conservative on an OCI, in this case its just about time anyway. I'd prefer to have my engine properly lubricated on a hot summer road trip as opposed to saving a few cents and perhaps enhancing wear on the cam/s, rings, etc.

Thanks everybody for your input. The vehicle may not be used after all, since car pooling seems like an option.

Here is an description about Mobil super High Mileage: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_Super_High_Mileage.aspx

There some indication that this could be a synthetic blend, but may have too little synthetic oil in it to be called a blend. My next change will be Valvoline Full Synthetic Max life and will do it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back