Coolant Testing Strips (Do they test enough?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking into ordering a coolant testing kit online. It measures coolant freeze point, boil point and pH levels of 6, 7, 7.5, 8 and 11.

Coolant Strips

Is this a thorough enough test kit to determine the quality of my coolant? Thanks

Better than a bulb tester but not as thorough as other strips on the market? Any suggestions?

I would use a hydrometer to test mix ratio/cooling/boil point. Which doesn't really give you a full reading on the coolant.

For very expensive power generation systems I would track the metals, mostly copper/lead and the amount of additive. Either you have Nitrited coolant or Carboxylic acid ELC/Dexcool type, or plain conventional green coolant. If you have Nitrite or a Dexcool type coolant you can get strips for the additive that gives you a better indication of the quality, along with pH test strips.

Metals that result from coolant corrosion/cavitation you need a lab to check those, just like a UOA.

Thanks Frasier. I have the Honda Blue Coolant. Not sure what category that falls under....will do some research. Silicate free.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2civics
Looking into ordering a coolant testing kit online. It measures coolant freeze point, boil point and pH levels of 6, 7, 7.5, 8 and 11.

Coolant Strips

Is this a thorough enough test kit to determine the quality of my coolant? Thanks

The issue is 50 test strips that expire in 2-3 years. Thats about 10X of what I would need in 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back