First look at the 2016 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks nice, why bother with a TLX when this looks just as classy and has nearly all the same tech for thousands less?

Thanks for sharing
It really doesn't look much different from my 2013 Sport.
They can keep the 19" wheels as the 18's are way stiff enough.

I'm not in need of the techno slop either.
As a long time Honda - Acura buyer I'd like to see the 2.4L juiced up another 20-30 hp and for Honda to quit cost cutting and fix the paint job and upgrade the interior a bit and finally get with fixing the road noise and wind noise. They claimed to in 2013 but it was a failure.

Also the suspension needs much work. It rides over imperfections and booms way too much. I'm willing to pay for that too.

MPG is awesome but Honda has never got Buick or Lexus like quiet.

I think the 2013 Accord really hit the styling nail on the head, but they're starting to lose me with the 2016 model and its LED lights and busier bodywork. I was hoping that multiple LED light pipes and swooshes were trends that would go away, but it doesn't appear that they are.

Agreed on the stiffness of the 19 inch wheels, I'm sure they degrade the ride over what a 17 or 18 would do.
Question: what you supposedly gain in handling performance with the 19s over, say, some 17s, is it that much more performance, and is it worth the ensuing degradation of ride quality? Also, traditionally, larger wheel/tire combos weigh more than smaller wheel/tire combos of the same circumference. So unHonda like to do that. Maybe those 19s are ultra light extravagant jobbies. If not, I'd look for the model with the smaller wheels (probably base).

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I think the 2013 Accord really hit the styling nail on the head, but they're starting to lose me with the 2016 model and its LED lights and busier bodywork. I was hoping that multiple LED light pipes and swooshes were trends that would go away, but it doesn't appear that they are.

Agreed. The 2013 model looked pretty classy. This 2016 one took a turn towards rice.

I love the idea of car play or android equivalent. Instead of using a touch screen with some clunky car maker built interface that dates itself quickly.

You get folks who develop mobile software who are used to mobile interface using a simple touch screen in a vehicle. Brilliant and in so many ways "low tech" in terms of the vehicle. Developers will likely build the car specific interface app and this is low dollar stuff beyond using navigation etc in the vehicle.

I like the look of Accord 2016 hoping 6mt stays.....

That guy is a tool, but that's beside the point.

The 2013-15 model was a nice redesign (one of the reasons why I bought one) but this is nothing but rice and new gadgets.

Agreed
I like my Sport but I'd prefer 17's as well.
The 18's are very stiff as well especially since Honda does
not isolate road noise very well. Plus in rain conditions if you
hit a somewhat deep puddle at speed you can go off flying. really, it takes little water to throw you with the super wide tires on the sport.

I'm a CVT fan and had several- the Honda version has not much noise like the Mitsu's but it has a hesitation while accelerating from around 15 MPH

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Agreed on the stiffness of the 19 inch wheels, I'm sure they degrade the ride over what a 17 or 18 would do.
Question: what you supposedly gain in handling performance with the 19s over, say, some 17s, is it that much more performance, and is it worth the ensuing degradation of ride quality? Also, traditionally, larger wheel/tire combos weigh more than smaller wheel/tire combos of the same circumference. So unHonda like to do that. Maybe those 19s are ultra light extravagant jobbies. If not, I'd look for the model with the smaller wheels (probably base).

I agree about the road noise. My wife's 2012 Accord is a great car, but the road noise is inexcusable. The only reason I can think of that Honda is so reluctant to add sound deadening is the slight weight penalty that would cost a tenth of a m.p.g. on their EPA rating. My Dodge Challenger with the 6.4 Hemi has less road noise than her Honda. Figure it out Honda. If not, I will buy her a Mazda or Toyota for her next car.

I guess we are kin. I agree with you.
A dealer buddy of mine that works for Honda also said its cost cutting. Hondas are not really expensive but fix the noise issues and hit me $500.

I had a new 2009 RT Challenger in Hemi Orange
Super quiet and it got great mileage.
The MDS bothered me a small bit- it was like turbo lag.........
Great car and I had no issues with it.

I took my Sport to FL. 15 hours straight. I got 34 mpg keeping it under 70 mph. When I got to a steady 75 mpg it cost me 2 mpg.

But the road noise........ OMG how tiring is that!

Originally Posted By: jhs914
The only reason I can think of that Honda is so reluctant to add sound deadening is the slight weight penalty that would cost a tenth of a m.p.g. on their EPA rating.

They need some arguments to convince people to buy Acura.
smile.gif

Quote:
Figure it out Honda. If not, I will buy her a Mazda or Toyota for her next car.

From all I've read/heard, Mazda isn't particularly quiet either.

With that said, if memory serves me right (big IF), my old 2000 Accord was reasonably quiet, other than the windshield rubber washer whistling noise that eventually got fixed. I don't remember it being noticeably noisier than my A4 or my 530i. Has the noise issue gotten worse in the more recent model year Accords?

[Re: jhs914]

I like my salesperson but not the dealership.
They cry like babies if you dare try to get a fair deal.
My salesperson is very honest though. I told him that I have had 11 Hondas and Acuras since 1986.

However when I go to trade one in all the other car companies act like I have gold- will pay a great trade in value. Never fails when I go to Honda they want to give me peanuts...

He told me that is their policy and he agreed on the road noise and all of the other stuff. It was so funny he said when he rides in other peoples cars they are much quieter than his loaner Accord............. LOL!

Funny, but my 15 Civic is pretty quiet inside, easily the quietest of all the six Hondas I've owned, and significantly quieter than a Corolla or a 3. Granted, the standard for the Accord should be set higher, but if they were cheaping out on sound insulation or trying to save a fraction of MPG, you'd think they'd short change the Civic. Even my wife's 15 Fit is relatively quiet, very much so for the segment.

Also, that new Accord looks like a Saturn at first glance, much prefer the outgoing styling. And 19" wheels?! you can keep them and the expense of the tires. The 2016 civic is getting a full redesign as well and is going to look much different, with a more aggressive exterior and more conventional interior. I kind of like the current two-tier dash

Quattro Pete

I think the sheet metal got much thinner and the interior got bigger and the tires got bigger and more aggressive and all of
that added to the noise not to mention a stiffer suspension.
Their noise cancelation hardware in my "13" doesn't work.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Those wheels are useless in heavy snow! LOL
And given the roads in Rouges Island driving on 19s has got to be pretty bumpy.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I'm a CVT fan

That's a new one
grin.gif

Seems like Accords have had road/wind noise issues for sometime. My 02 is far-from-quiet on the highway. The wind rush from the back windows is particularly bad. My 2013 Pilot, though, is one of the quietest cars I've ever driven.

Last edited:
I'm surprised by the road/wind noise comments. My Impreza must have been horrible (and it kinda was) because my new Accord is blissfully quiet!

The caption said that is a Touring model and the V6 touring at least already has the LEDs.

I do agree that the current car is more pleasing to my eye, but admit it could be the color of that one - and those black wheels look bad a brown car to me.

I rode in a 2014 Accord this weekend (an EX-L) and found the NVH quite good. The CVT was pretty non-objectionable as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back