Would you make this trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Got a letter from Acura with deals.

As you can see in my signature, I have a 2012 TL SH AWD with 58K miles. Uses about 1 qt oil in 4K miles. I really like this car and would have no problem driving it for another 150K.

The offer is this:
Leftover 2015 RLX Tech package. List price $55,370 Discounted price $43,370
Trade in value 2012TL: $23,370
Cost $20,000

Your thoughts and input appreciated.

money in the children's savings account is probably smarter. for your children anyway.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
money in the children's savings account is probably smarter. for your children anyway.

True. But mine would be for the grandchildren.

I would have some fun and push the trade value to what a dealer will sell your car for and see what they say. Give me $30K for my car. I will give you $13K in cash and its a deal.

Their goal is to get you to buy a new car every few years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

True. But mine would be for the grandchildren.
even better!

If you're not already in the market for a new car, shred that letter and don't give it another thought.

I get those offers all the time from Honda.

I am of the opinion that you can't beat the deal that you get right in your own garage. Taxes, title, ect.....included.... You couldn't turn around and buy your own car for what they are giving you for it. It's your best deal.
wink.gif

Give her a good clay and wash and put a ribbon on top and call it a day. Don't fall for those silly "keep buying a car every 3 years" coupons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pottymouth
If you're not already in the market for a new car, shred that letter and don't give it another thought.

+1

Unless your current car is giving you problems (which it sounds like it isn't), then why spend $20K?

Originally Posted By: 2civics
I get those offers all the time from Honda.

I am of the opinion that you can't beat the deal that you get right in your own garage. Taxes, title, ect.....included.... You couldn't turn around and buy your own car for what they are giving you for it. It's your best deal.
wink.gif

Give her a good clay and wash and put a ribbon on top and call it a day. Don't fall for those silly "keep buying a car every 3 years" coupons.

LOL. I test drove the car for a day and then went home and detailed my car. Looks like new but no car payments. Didn't stop me from still thinking about it though.....

I really like this car and would have no problem driving it for another 150K.

Then why spend $20k if you don't have to?

RE: Would you make this trade?

No. Unless you have $20k burning a hole in your pocket, why?

Are you still working? Retire $20k earlier. Take a vacation. Have an experience. Take the grandkids somewhere (don't just buy them something); experiences make better memories.

The offer is this:
Leftover 2015 RLX Tech package. List price $55,370 Discounted price $43,370
Trade in value 2012TL: $23,370
Cost $20,000

Your thoughts and input appreciated.

I would not make the trade for the simple fact that I would get $23,370 in trade in value and the very next day that car would be listed for close to $30k on the dealer's lot.

If you have to have a new car every 3 years your better off leasing. What's the lease price on the 15?

No, I see no reason to spend good money on something that is not a substantial improvement over your existing car.

I use my cars until the transmission or engine goes belly up before I consider getting a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back