Highway vibrations debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Tire balance gets worse with increasing speed. Suspension issues often cause vibration issues at certain speeds and not others. My Jaguar X-Type shakes at 70, but not at higher speeds. It's an AWD car, with worn out suspension. It's no surprise the thing shakes. But the tires are balanced and higher speeds result in a perfectly smooth ride.

Yeah I'm not sure, when I saw the back tires being balanced I clearly saw the rims had small dents on the inside not the face. Could even really small imperfections cause vibrations issues?

I clearly saw the inner lip of each rim move up and down ever so slightly.

I'm all for buying new wheels and tires if I have to. But I don't want to spend $1,700 if it won't fix the problem. OEM wheels will run me $250-275 each. Decent tires will be around $160 each.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Swift101
It turns out both rear wheels are ever so slightly bent, they attempted the straighten out the more bent one.

Are those wheels aftermarket or factory ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Swift101
It turns out both rear wheels are ever so slightly bent, they attempted the straighten out the more bent one.

Are those wheels aftermarket or factory ?

Factory wheels.

Just a quick update, drove home from work and took it to 90, no vibrations! It seems to be happening only when I have a passenger sitting in the front. Any ideas?

I had a similar problem with the last Mustang I owned. Ended up being a bad front tire. I chased the problem for many months before the tread separated on me. The tires looked fine before the one finally let go. The tire must have had internal damage. Drove wonderful after that.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I had a similar problem with the last Mustang I owned. Ended up being a bad front tire. I chased the problem for many months before the tread separated on me. The tires looked fine before the one finally let go. The tire must have had internal damage. Drove wonderful after that.

So I guess that makes early detection impossible? I've hit a bunch of potholes with these tires over the last year. I just a read another post on here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1592819

Maybe I have the same problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back