Towing and actual weights

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Just got back from a 600 mile round trip with the trailer. There was a nice open truck scale in Oregon. Got some weights.
Some background the trailer is rated at 6280 dry.
The truck is 6100lbs with me and a full tank of gas.
2002 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 4L80E
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

20150727_102651.jpg

I got one good photo of the scale, the others were blurry.
frown.gif

Trailer axles on the scale. Loaded for 5 days of camping full water tank and propane. Grey and black water empty.
20150727_083808.jpg

In the truck I had 4 bikes, 20ish pieces of wood. The wife, 2 kids and me.

Truck on the Scale was 7560 with trailer.
Front axle was 3250 front is rated for 4670
Rear axle was 4440 rear is rated for 6080

Truck normally weighs 6100lbs with me and a full tank of gas.

So 14310 overall. Truck is rated for 16000 GCVWR.

Truck is rated for 9200. So not bad.

I figure about 10 percent of the trailer weight is on the truck. So about 675 to 750lbs. Makes the trailer about 7425 to 7500. 7500 gross is what the trailer is limited to.

This was my truck with a load of retaining wall blocks. It weighs 7200 lbs empty. GVWR on the door sticker is 10,600.

Oops.

The weights for travel trailers can be misleading. All weights are dry, some manufacturers used to not include the weight of options. Options meaning A/C, electric tongue jack, the spare tire, awning, the battery. This may have changed since i shopped years ago. Add the option weight, plus the stuff you carry ( easy 500lbs) plus the weight of LP gas, water in the tank ( 8.3lbs per gallon 30gallons in my fresh tank 250lbs if full). Don't forget the WD hitch ( mine is 50lbs), and people and dogs.
Easily 1000lbs to 1500lbs added to the listed weight.
Thats why some people buy a travel trailer and then end up having to get another heavier vehicle as they did not know to account for that added weight ( usually first time buyers).

Last edited:
Also, people should look at the PAYLOAD amount in side the driver's door jam before they buy a trailer. Many times the hitch weight will put them at 60% to 70% of the truck's payload.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
The weights for travel trailers can be misleading. All weights are dry, some manufacturers used to not include the weight of options. Options meaning A/C, electric tongue jack, the spare tire, awning, the battery. This may have changed since i shopped years ago. Add the option weight, plus the stuff you carry ( easy 500lbs) plus the weight of LP gas, water in the tank ( 8.3lbs per gallon 30gallons in my fresh tank 250lbs if full). Don't forget the WD hitch ( mine is 50lbs), and people and dogs.
Easily 1000lbs to 1500lbs added to the listed weight.
Thats why some people buy a travel trailer and then end up having to get another heavier vehicle as they did not know to account for that added weight ( usually first time buyers).

Hopefully your not traveling down the road with people and dogs in the trailer??

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
This was my truck with a load of retaining wall blocks. It weighs 7200 lbs empty. GVWR on the door sticker is 10,600.

Oops.

I worked at Lowes one summer for hobby money. I cannot tell you how many people wanted a pallet of paving stone put in the back of their pickup. In many cases it was close to a ton of paving stones. I would drop it in with a forklift and the truck bed would go lower and lower as I lowered the forklift forks to get them out.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Hopefully your not traveling down the road with people and dogs in the trailer??

No i don't and perhaps i did'nt word it well. But it is still weight that you have to figure into the GCVW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald

I worked at Lowes one summer for hobby money. I cannot tell you how many people wanted a pallet of paving stone put in the back of their pickup. In many cases it was close to a ton of paving stones. I would drop it in with a forklift and the truck bed would go lower and lower as I lowered the forklift forks to get them out.

Some of the large landscape blocks can weight close to 3000lbs a pallet!!

Wow, what a difference build year makes. Took my 2015 2500HD over the scales at the grain elevator in town a couple of weeks ago. Me, the wife, full of fuel, about 200 lb of tools in the back.... 7380 lb. But then, my 2015 2500HD 6.0L 6L90 4.10 is rated for 20,300 GCWR. I can put a ton of bentonite or quikrete in the back with nary a problem and still be under the GVWR of 9500 lb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back