Drain/fill 1 gallon of coolant at each oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm trying to think of some ways to keep the fluids in my truck fresh without having to dedicate weekends to do big jobs at a later time.

Not that I don't mind doing an entire coolant drain/rinse/fill, but it seems like it would be easier to drain 1 gallon from the radiator and refill with fresh 50/50 mix at each oil change. I don't drive much but I would probably average 2 oil changes a year (spring and fall). Total system capacity is 2.6 gallons so it would be replenishing 38% of the capacity each time.

The coolant is Toyota Super Long Life and it's a 2015 Tacoma. My driving is 99% city/highway.

Perhaps it makes more sense to only do this once a year?

In every vehicle using the green stuff that I owned (12), drained and filled radiator every 2 years, with never a corrosion issue.

Mongo161 sounds like he is on the right track since TLLC is good for 5 years and 50k. I might consider every 3 1/2 years but then again I am conservative and like to be sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Replace a gallon of coolant at each oil change is plenty good, but I think its too often and a waste of money

+1

Way to often. Even one a year is excessive. I'd say do it once every 2 years and you should be fine. But it's your vehicle, so do what makes you feel most comfortable so you can rest easy at night and not worry.

-if you have SLLC then you wouldn't be doing 50/50, it's premixed.

-if you have the itch, go for the radiator drain/fill every 2 years. that is already excessive

-keep in mind that a full coolant change may come into schedule during a major services anyway when you got to take hoses or radiator out of the way; so you may want to skip the incremental d/f prior to that service.

But if you are over-maintaining, are you also doing your brake fluid every 2 years? How about spark plugs every 30k. Where do you draw the line on your recreational maintenance?

Last edited:
It makes no sense to me. A lot of time, money, and material wasted versus changing it one time at the recommended interval.

You can get pre-diluted Toyota SLL coolant at the dealer. Xerex Asian formulation is also pre-diluted, so there's really no need to buy concentrated coolant and worry about the correct 50/50 mix.

Maybe every oil change is a bit excessive, but assuming your oil changes are 5,000 miles, every 5th oil change may be a better choice. Some people recommend waiting for the recommended interval, at the end of the day, do whatever makes you sleep better at night.
smile.gif

How you gonna drain out 1 gallon and then shut the flow off real quick?
You gotta garden hose bib attached to your radiator?

detail_262483_usn_tif.jpg

I still follow the old 2 year routine and do a drain-refill by removing the lower rad hose along with the thermostat which probably gets 75% of the coolant out. No need having to deal with chemical flushes, trying to completely remove all the old coolant, trying to completely remove the flush chemical water and second guessing mixing with whatever flush water is still remaining in the block.

Last edited:
A total waste of time and money. Bottle all that used coolant and send it my way and I use it for four more years.

Follow the owners manual, Toyota LLF has a very long service life. Just to give you an example I have a PDF from Havoline that states that even after 5/150 the corrosion inhibitors in Dexcool were still at 95%. And still passed the corrosion tests required for new coolants at 200k . I'll bet the Toyota fluid is just as good if not better.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How you gonna drain out 1 gallon and then shut the flow off real quick?
You gotta garden hose bib attached to your radiator?

It is not uncommon for vehicles to have drain valves. Otherwhise it is very easy to remove the plug, let 1 litre out and put the plug back in.

Please use common sense when asking questions. This is advice for all of your posts and threads that you start.......

Guys, Toyota Super Long Life coolant has a factory drain interval of 10 years.

Once every oil change is beyond ridiculous! Even once every 2 years is extremely wasteful. Of all the Toyota cooling systems I've been into, NEVER have I seen one that was crudded up- and none had their coolant changed prior to me working on them.

I would consider a simple drain and fill once every 5 years to be PLENTY conservative. Really, any time between 6 and 10 years will be fine.

To the people that do drain and fills, that is all you do? No "flush" with distilled water or a flushing solution?

If there are no issues in the cooling system, then it's not needed. Unless you are trying to get rid of some form of contamination don't bother. A drain and fill will refresh the coolant's add pack, which really all you need.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Once every oil change is beyond ridiculous! Even once every 2 years is extremely wasteful. Of all the Toyota cooling systems I've been into, NEVER have I seen one that was crudded up- and none had their coolant changed prior to me working on them.

I would consider a simple drain and fill once every 5 years to be PLENTY conservative. Really, any time between 6 and 10 years will be fine.

+1 This is what I would do. 5 years drain and fill with the toyota stuff and call it a day.

I'll go with this plan. Thanks!

True for the original fill. Refills are 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back