OCI and Engine Ticking on ;09 IS350

Status
Not open for further replies.
During purchasing a CPO 2009 IS350 with 69K yesterday, I was informed by the dealership that they had always used Pennzoil 5W-30 for my car's oil changes. I told them I was gonna go with synthetic. They told me their mechanical "guru" said that with the 350 engine my OCI should stay at 5K no matter if I used conventional oil or synthetic. I thought it an interesting. He said I could stay at 10K on my LS. What do you think? Is that engine so tough on oil?

Also, I got the shock of my life when pulled it in the garage and heard the engine "ticking." My heart sank until I found out he ticking was from the DI and was perfectly normal. I hope this may help some on you.

Put up some pics of the car
smile.gif

But what's your opinion of the OCI ? Is that engine so rough on oil that you need to change synthetic at 5K?

I've solved the ticking. I know it is caused from the direct injection. I am just trying to help another IS350 owner.

It's probably fuel dilution. Doesn't that engine have the dual - injection system where port injection is used at low speeds/idle?

You could search UOA's for that engine as well.

Those injectors are terrible. The valvetrain isnt the quiet, but the injectors will drown out a thrown rod.

Yes, those make a ton of noise. I would base the OCI on your driving style and what the manual says. The LS V8 was super easy on oil. Our LS made significantly less power than an IS350 and was not DI.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
Yes, those make a ton of noise. I would base the OCI on your driving style and what the manual says. The LS V8 was super easy on oil. Our LS made significantly less power than an IS350 and was not DI.

The owners manual might tell him to keep the oil until the OLM goes on.

Last edited:
Sorry for reviving this old thread, but shortly after purchasing my is350, I noticed that my oil level was too high as well. This was when checking the oil in a level surface, after sitting overnight. There was also no unburnt fuel smells from the dipstick either (as I was expecting in oil dilution).

Shortly after this I ran the car on the highway for a bit (this is basically my grocery-getter) and the level came down to the full mark. It also looked "cleaner" than when it was higher.

Should I be worried? Or should I simply make sure to run it once every couple of weeks on the highway?

thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back