consequences of dent in exhaust pipe Cadillac SRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the course of retrieving an orange that rolled underneath my new to me 2012 Cadillac SRX in the garage, I accidentally noticed a fairly significant dent/indentation in the center exhaust pipe that runs along side the drive shaft. Can't believe it's normal. No sign of any impact damage--it's been that way quite a while. Question is are there any negative consequences to this? Should I worry about it? Some reasons I am concerned about it are that the carfax showed 2 service "incidents" pertaining to driveability. I have noticed the engine shakes significantly at idle when in park--it's not too bad when in drive but I do sometimes notice a slight shake. Also, the car pings or diesels more than I think a 35,000 mile Cadillac should. Could all these consequences be explained by the dent in the exhaust pipe? Could that be causing excessive back pressure resulting in those symptoms? Have a service appointment later this week for some other issues and am wondering how hard to push this issue? I really do need some good advice here. Thanks in advance.

I was sort of wondering about that. Of course, I noticed this after hours and can't call anyone at the dealer until tomorrow. This dent, however, is definitely after the cat.

I remember reading about exhaust diameter designed for the highest flow horse power need, and it would just be "too big" if you are not gunning the car at full throttle in the middle of power band.

I highly doubt in daily driving you can feel a couple small dent in the exhaust.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I would check others at the dealer. Jeep 4.0s have similarly awkward dents in the exhaust to heat the cats

Yes, I remember the first time I saw that on my Cherokee! Hard to believe it was original, the pipe looked so dented.

The factory y pipe on on 4th gen LS1 f bodies is flattened/ovalized for a couple foot section in order to give more pipe to under body and ground clearance.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back