Purolator Classic cut away with 8K on filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, these are famous for tearing near the metal seam, just like yours did. Still small tear holes, but not real good.
Lots of folks call them "Tearolators" in the past few years.
Switch to Fram Ultra, a wire-backed all-synthetic media that won't tear like that, and filters out smaller stuff.

Originally Posted By: Jake54
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...d_f#Post3798951
this filter was the same one left on in the above link.
https://youtu.be/6Bw1AKg3rII

Technically, the way Purolator's duration reads, the filter is rated to go as long as your vehicle manufacture says an oil filter is supposed to be changed out (note the OR statement Purolator makes). Most vehicle manufacturers these days have well over 5K change intervals in their service schedule.

That Purolator probably tore the media in the first 50 miles of use.

You would think they would have fixed this PROBLEM by now.
I've used and cut open Purolators in the past and they used to make a very good filter. It seems that in an effort to save a nickel or dimes worth of paper they are now making J-U-N-K...

+1
Originally Posted By: pbm
You would think they would have fixed this PROBLEM by now.
I've used and cut open Purolators in the past and they used to make a very good filter. It seems that in an effort to save a nickel or dimes worth of paper they are now making J-U-N-K...

Jake54 - what is the date code on that Classic? It's printed on the can.

IMO, if we keep seeing torn Purolators that were made say after Jan 1st, 2015 then they haven't fixed anything.

I say this because Purolator was told by members here via emails that their filters were tearing left and right back in the spring of 2014 I believe. So give them until the end of 2014 to fix the problem I would think be plenty of time to address a root cause and employ a fix for production.

L14459
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

IMO, if we keep seeing torn Purolators that were made say after Jan 1st, 2015 then they haven't fixed anything.

I say this because Purolator was told by members here via emails that their filters were tearing left and right back in the spring of 2014 I believe. So give them until the end of 2014 to fix the problem I would think be plenty of time to address a root cause and employ a fix for production.

Why use your vehicle as a test bed for an inexpensive filter with known issues? Seems contrary to the purpose of this forum to use such a filter for 2 OCIs, even if they both amount to less than 10K miles. My car isn't a test bed for any filter, and I wouldn't use that filter at all, if I did, I wouldn't go more than I would on the Orange Can, 5K miles. At the moment the Orange can has a lot better reputation too.

L14459

L14459 is the filter model number.

There should be another number on the side of the can somewhere in smaller text, which is the date code, the day the filter was manufactured.

Ah, I'll check when I get home and get back to you.

L14459

L14459 is the filter model number.

There should be another number on the side of the can somewhere in smaller text, which is the date code, the day the filter was manufactured.

Im new to the forum, never really heard of purolators reputation until I became a member.
Not using vehicle as a "test bed". I wrongfukky trusted Purolator, I will no longer be buying their products.
Originally Posted By: Joenpb
Why use your vehicle as a test bed for an inexpensive filter with known issues? Seems contrary to the purpose of this forum to use such a filter for 2 OCIs, even if they both amount to less than 10K miles. My car isn't a test bed for any filter, and I wouldn't use that filter at all, if I did, I wouldn't go more than I would on the Orange Can, 5K miles. At the moment the Orange can has a lot better reputation too.

Looks ok. And although it has a small tear....how does that small tear really affect the filtering? Not much. That engine didn't even notice it.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Yep, these are famous for tearing near the metal seam, just like yours did. Still small tear holes, but not real good.
Switch to Fram Ultra, a wire-backed all-synthetic media that won't tear like that, and filters out smaller stuff.

Has it really been that long? I'd swear I remember the first reported P1 tears occurring only last year, round about.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb

Has the Classic been known to tear; I thought it was just the P1's?

Also, it appears that you've missed the purpose of this forum. As a reminder, this forum is for general automotive enthusiasts. Enthusiasts, by nature, aren't keen on following rules or following the herd when it comes to standards. BITOG standards include not only an eccentric habit of stashing oil, but also bragging about extended oil and filter change intervals to friends who think 5k miles is pushing it...
cheers3.gif

Were you also one of those who were going 2-3 OCIs on a Puraltor filter?

Hence my point.
wink.gif

I'm an automotive enthusiast, I race auto-x, and do occasional passes at the track. My last OCI was just under 10k miles (changed filter). I'm having an UOA done to verify that interval is good.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Has it really been that long? I'd swear I remember the first reported P1 tears occurring only last year, round about.

I think it was around Mar-Apr 2014 when reports really started pouring in. Although, I was the very first to report these tears back in May 2011. I had a thread about it - see below. There was one other reported in Jul 2011 per the spreadsheet. Strangely, nobody else saw tears until much later in Mar 2014.
1st Reported Tears [Link]

See "Date Reported" column in the torn media spreadsheet.
Torn Media Spreadsheet [Link]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back