Fram high mileage oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the scoop on Fram's high mileage oil filter with TRT (time release technology)? Apparently it has some kind of additive in the filter that is released as the oil flows through it. Canadian Tire has a deal on now where if you buy a jug of GTX high mileage, you get a Fram high mileage oil filter free! Just wondering if the filter is any good.

It's a standard FRAM orange can filter. I don't think that anyone knows anything about the gel additive inside the can.

^^^what pmwalter said^^^

I would be hesitant to intall a filter that claims to "...release additive into the oil with every pass through the filter to maintain oil quality". If you are changing your oil at intervals appropriate for your vehicle's use, it doesn't NEED any help from FRAM's unknown goo.

It's marketing. I don't want to lubricate my cars with marketing. Just oil and a filter is enough for me. Maybe the stuff is Slick-50. Or it could be gorilla snot. Has anyone asked Fram if they would like to log on and answer a few questions. Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote:

It's marketing. I don't want to lubricate my cars with marketing. Just oil and a filter is enough for me. Maybe the stuff is Slick-50. Or it could be gorilla snot. Has anyone asked Fram if they would like to log on and answer a few questions. Inquiring minds want to know.

I'd doubt it.
wink.gif
I once got a NASTY email from Fram claiming their filter media is superior and there was no reason to have as much in their filters as Wix/Napa, Purolator, AC Delco/STP, or Hastings/Federated AP filters do. This was about 10 years ago (last time that I used a Fram.), so I cannot recall the exact wording of the email. Had I thought of it I would have asked why their "superior" filters also have cardboard in them when the other had metal endcaps for the media.
confused.gif
dunno.gif
wink.gif
I had gone the whole route with their filters when I had my '93 tempo. I used the Xtragaurd and the Tough guard as well as the orange can filters on it. Never has a Fram crossed into my cart or hands since.
nono.gif

Sounds like their DoubleGuard nonsense where PTFE is leeched into the oil in a similar fashion. I wonder if they soak the media with their newish oil stabilizer. Just thinking out loud. I wouldn't touch Fram with your pole.

John.

We have a TV show here in south Florida called "Don't Waste Your Money". While I didn't see Fram as one of their subjects, I can picture it in my mind. Get an Eao, forget Framis.

harry j I second that opinion. So far it looks like the best thing going. Some secondary peer review not withstanding(which would be nice).

"prevents viscosity build-up" LOL
BTW has anyone noticed fram filters are way smaller than others.
Because when I went to pennzoil, they put their filter in(fram). And wow the wix I had in there was 2x bigger.

I know this is an old thread, but wondering if these Fram HM filters are now considered in high esteem, here on BITOG.

Or are they still the same as the OCOD?

I havent read BITOG in a few yeras and my last OCI , I used a purolator classic, then came on here and had no idea the down trend of Puro filters and their tearing issues, I really hope my engine is okay until next OCI.

I like the Puro classics because at one time everybody here said they were great filters and were only 3.27 at walmart.

It's just a extra guard with the additive basket. The tough guard and Ultra are both better at removing contamination. The high mileage is 95% efficient at 20 microns and both the tough guard and Ultra are above 99% efficient at 20 microns.

Coming from the Purolator classic you can do better with almost anything.

If you want a cheap replacement try the tough guard.

RegDunlop, Fram HM oil filters are a good product. Truckers sometimes use a similar oil filter concept (Fram's TRT for truckers).
Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hi,
I am the tech director at FRAM. The HM filter is an offshoot of a product we make for the HD market called TRT filters. (timed release technology). When HD trucks added egr systems, they had real issues with soot and acid formation in the oil, shortening the change interval. We developed custom filters with an internal additive basket for a huge delivery customer (UPS)to help them get back to the normal change intervals. It has been very successful in the HD market. Off course, marketing people thought it would be great for pass cars as well. The additive is made by an internationally known manufacturer of oil additives, it dissolves over 3k miles, keeps acid (PH) levels in balance and maintains corrosion protection in a mileage challenged engine. It is real science, just a matter of "does your vehicle really need it". You did question the efficiency of the HM, it is the same as the EG filter at 95.7%@20 microns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back