New Car Sales New Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I wanted to know if there are any car salespeople on the board. I've been at a hotel front desk job for six years and had the opportunity to interview with the Owner of A VW dealership for a new sales job. I know alot about cars, and technology and like to learn more. Any tips for the test I have to take to get my dealers license so that I can sell cars, granted every state varies. The Hotel that I currently work for has no opportunities to advance. I've never worked in a strictly commission environment. Would like to know what I'm getting myself into. I'd prefer comments from people working or have worked in the business.

Here in Nebraska when I had a dealers license many years ago, all I had to do was be bonded and pay the state their fee. And Presto, yo is a dealer. LOL

Reality is a well performing salesmen does not need to know a lot about cars and technology. That is not a trait that makes you great at sales.

My brother in law has done it in all facets from training, sales, sales manager, and even sales training beyond finance director. He is very successful at it and admit to knowing squat about cars and does not really care.

He is quite personable and great at connecting with people which is very important.

Good luck! Tough industry!

i think the test is the least of your worries that's just factual knowledge that you can study for or they will train you for.

What matters is if you have the personality/charisma or whatever to be able to sell.
Perhaps go watch wolf of wall street. I would say, because it's a sales job, to think the entire interview as a test of those interpersonal skills, and not just the factual answers to whatever they ask you.

This includes your attitude, small talk, jokes, all of that stuff.

If you want to prepare, there are plenty of "negotiation" / communication or other softskill books you can read to maximize whatever natural ability you have.

Last edited:
I'm an engineer, and I've noticed car salesman usually don't know much about techie car stuff. They just need to be nice. Know the attributes of a product that might appeal to a human standing in front of them. And be nice, thats all. The Service Advisor at a dealership can handle tech questions maybe.

I'd think the dealership license would involve knowledge of the local laws, right?

Edmunds hired a writer to get hired as a car salesman and write about it. "Diary of a car salesman". GOogle will find it for you.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
Just know the answer to the question, "Why do you want to work here/sell cars"

"because I want to make money and I have no moral or ethical standards"

then, you're in.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
"because I want to make money and I have no moral or ethical standards"
then, you're in.

No, thats just for people running for POTUS or congress.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Edmunds hired a writer to get hired as a car salesman and write about it. "Diary of a car salesman". GOogle will find it for you.

That was good read, got it from the library years ago.

So you need a license to be a salesman? That's rare but apparently the way some states run.

I looked into having a dealership (owners) license and got stymied by the insurance. They wanted 3 years experience and asked a bunch of nosy questions, it was like applying for a job, LOL.

As said, you don't want to know too much about cars. At best it's a trap, but it can be off-putting if not confrontational to the customer if you're the "expert". They want to feel in control. Every car is special to the buyer, and there are some real hideous ones out there, like the Murano convertible.
smile.gif

Being a salesman is easy. Being a professional salesperson that knows how to sell and is successful at it is an entirely different level. If you feel that you're capable of being a professional salesperson, and you believe in the product you're selling, then by all means dive in. You'll work long hours, you'll have to know how to overcome objections, and it will take years to establish a clientele and reputation.

Fair warning-the landscape is littered with salesmen that are anything but professional.

My Son sold at a Toyota Store. Sold LOTS OF CARS. Didn't make nearly any money. The profits are stacked in favor of the dealership.

22 years ago I was in new car sales for 6 months. Tough business, the place to be then and I would assume now is used. More money made on used than the new ones. Long hours, constant lying customers, it is extremely tough to get started. Some do well if they can build up a clientele, but taking "ups" off the lot is no way to make a living. I think today with the internet and such the mini deal is 95%+ of your income. Back then I got $100 for a mini. I always was annoyed how the customer would grind you down to nothing, then expect a full delivery showing how everything worked. I did not have time for that, I needed to spend time selling to put groceries on the table. I love cars, loved the demo, but the negative list was much longer than the positives, so I got out. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
97prism,

What about a good stable career that doesn't require 60 hours a week in sales ?

I'm sure you have his attention. Go on....

Originally Posted By: DutchBrad
22 years ago I was in new car sales for 6 months. Tough business, the place to be then and I would assume now is used. More money made on used than the new ones. Long hours, constant lying customers, it is extremely tough to get started. Some do well if they can build up a clientele, but taking "ups" off the lot is no way to make a living. I think today with the internet and such the mini deal is 95%+ of your income. Back then I got $100 for a mini. I always was annoyed how the customer would grind you down to nothing, then expect a full delivery showing how everything worked. I did not have time for that, I needed to spend time selling to put groceries on the table. I love cars, loved the demo, but the negative list was much longer than the positives, so I got out. Good luck.

You are correct SIR. The mini is the deal thanks to the Internet. As my previous post mentioned...my son sold lots of cars at a mega Toyota Dealership. It's hard to make a living at a $100.00 a pop. At least that's what the management says your going to get who have several layers of people who get cuts off a sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back