Windy landing Amsterdam 777

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is quite dramatic -- the pitching back and forth like that. I love watching airliner videos on YouTube, and love a good crosswind landing series. But that 777 video is pretty impressive.

Years ago, in perfect weather, was in a plane which landed really hard with a pronounced tilt, bounced, came down again with the tilt, seemed to be running on only one side of the rear landing gear, and then suddenly slammed down the airborne side down.
All of us passengers were talking about what a rotten landing that was, and suddenly the captain came on and said we should all congratulate copilot blahblah on his first ever landing of a 737! The whole plane jeered and then razzed the poor guy on the way out...he looked really embarrassed and [censored] all at once.

Not allowed, by regulation, to land in over around a 30 knots crosswind.
Gusts are surprising however. Tower should be warning about gusts and diverting planes to other airports, or the pilot should sense the difficulty of controlling roll angle and do a go-around. Close call.
Its all about crab and de-crab, and touching down slightly on the downwind side to de-crab while lowering the upwind wing roll. Whew!

If the video in that link wasn't sped up then [censored]! That pilot should have gotten a gold medal!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
If the video in that link wasn't sped up then [censored]! That pilot should have gotten a gold medal!

He did react quickly to level the wings (roll), however he should have sensed the gusty conditions further back up the glideslope and did a go-around instead of risking lives in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Years ago, in perfect weather, was in a plane which landed really hard with a pronounced tilt, bounced, came down again with the tilt, seemed to be running on only one side of the rear landing gear, and then suddenly slammed down the airborne side down.
All of us passengers were talking about what a rotten landing that was, and suddenly the captain came on and said we should all congratulate copilot blahblah on his first ever landing of a 737! The whole plane jeered and then razzed the poor guy on the way out...he looked really embarrassed and [censored] all at once.

The captain didn't want to take the heat for that landing.

We had one, once, the ground came up so fast I instinctively pulled my feet up off the floor. BANG, the plane slammed down. A number of the oxygen masks popped out of their overhead compartments. So there we are, taxing to the terminal, with a half dozen or so oxygen masks hanging down. I still remember one of the fellows (who's oxygen mask deployed) looking back, with a rather unsettled look on his face.

Usually, the pilot opens the cockpit door and cheerfully thanks you for flying their airline, have a nice day, yada, yada. Not this time. The cockpit door stayed closed and we all shuffled out in silence.

Several years ago on a flight across country with one stop over where the landing was fairly rough and then the final landing super smooth, I congratulated the Pilot and remarked on his smooth landing compared to the previous Pilot's rough landing at the last airport. He replied, wryly, "same pilot". Did I ever feel stupid! LOL

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Not allowed, by regulation, to land in over around a 30 knots crosswind.
Gusts are surprising however. Tower should be warning about gusts and diverting planes to other airports, or the pilot should sense the difficulty of controlling roll angle and do a go-around. Close call.
Its all about crab and de-crab, and touching down slightly on the downwind side to de-crab while lowering the upwind wing roll. Whew!

Your comment is incorrect. Crosswind limits are established during aircraft manufacturer flight test and are usually different for every aircraft type. The airplane I fly currently has a crosswind limit of 40 knots. Other transport airplane types I have flown have a 25 knot limit - it just depends on the aircraft type. there are also different limits depending on whether or not you are doing an autoland. Airline specific limits can also be set and those are the limitations we have to follow.

Wind speeds and gusts are broadcast on ATIS and also given by the tower during gusty conditions. Gusts are usually not surprising because we can see the gusts on our airspeed indicator during the final approach. Approach speeds are increased to account for the steady state wind and gust factors to ensure adequate stall protection and maneuverability.

Your comment about crab and de-crab is mostly correct, but often it's all about taking out the crab at the last minute. I don't worry about getting the upwind landing gear down first, these airplanes are so big that it works best to just straighten it out right in the flare and roll it on.

Hope the information helps!

Just my .02 and 31 years of flying Boeing jets.

757 Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back