A Re-used Head Gasket ... Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is regarding this Jeep [urlhttp://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3719586/Hard_grit_/_chunks_in_oil?__Pl]Here[/url].

The hard, gritty substance that plugged the oil pickup (along with sludge in a lot of places) was said to have indicated a severe overheat.

When looking in the engine bay of the Jeep, one could tell that the head had been replaced recently.

After cleaning out the oil pump , once the Jeep would get up to temperature, it would hemorrhage oil. We're talking 1 quart every 20 miles once it was warmed up. Replaced a few things - dizzy seal, oil pump seal, oil pressure sensor seal (that someone didn't even screw in all the way ...) and it started to leak worse.

Turns out it was all coming from the head gasket. Not uncommon for 4.0Ls of this era to leak from the head gasket. We had assumed that the previous owner overheated it and cracked or wapred the original head and swapped with the cheapest head gasket possible, causing the external oil leak.

Well ... we were close, but missing one fact.

It appears THEY REUSED THE HEAD GASKET. What?!?! Yes!

Ran a compression test on it and the only cylinder with good compression was 4. The other five cylinders were all at 50PSI. Can't remember what 4 was at, but it was acceptable.

When the head came off, this is what we found:
- There was no head gasket between 5 and 6 and 1/2/3. Appears that when the head was taken off, the PO scraped the material and just stuck the gasket back on
- Cyl 5 and 6 were dumping exhaust gas into the lifter galley
- The back part of te head gasket was missing, significantly, around the oil passages (hence major leak)
- There are coolant passages between the head and block that are SUPPOSED TO BE BLOCKED BY THE GASKET ... the PO drilled these out
- Numerous spots the gasket was just "missing" between coolant and oil passages
- Head coolant passages were filled with sludge and ,in a few cases, plugged.

With that said - this is why the AMC 4.0 has such a good reputation. It's still quiet (no knocks - even though it was run with no oil when the pump plugged) and has decent low end torque.

We also threw a timing chain at it since there was so much slack the distributor was 10* off. I suspect this is why the engine would run out of breath above 2500RPM. The head gasket, or lack thereof, was probably why it felt a bit down on power too.

I unplugged the coolant passages in the head. Hopefully that will stop the head from seeming to be extremely warm along with the valvecover. I'm sure a new head would do it wonders ... but the Jeep may not be worth it.

Has anyone else ever seen this before? I'm assuming that it was just someone trying to get the vehicle to the point that it would look good to sell.

It isn't back together. Still waiting for that.

I'm interested to see what the compression is going to be.

the gasket can tear/stick to both the head and the block when removing. i think the situation you describe is highly unlikely.

Last edited:
I saw it before when I was in school. The guy that owned the truck was super cheap and thought it didn't need to be replaced, used RTV to seal any gaps. He also didn't want to buy carrier bearings for his diff when we were picking bits of roller out of the bottom of the housing.

I bet there wasn't any gasket material on the head when pulled off or in the cylinders either.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
the gasket can tear/stick to both the head and the block when removing. i think the situation you describe is highly unlikely.

I believe that's what happened before - but the pieces that were missing were nowhere to be found. It looks like they scraped the old gasket material off the block and just reused it.

There was, literally, nothing where these gaping holes were. And this isn't the first half-*** fix that has shown up here and there on the Jeep.

That the engine ran at all is testimony to the robust engineering. It didn't run because of the PO's maintenance. It ran in spite of it.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Try Seafoam and then use M1 0w40.

Not mine, but I did suggest using a synthetic oil next time around. We have scraped all of the visible sludge from the oil pan, timing cover, and lifter galley. Some sort of synthetic should be able to clean it out nicely.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I saw it before when I was in school. The guy that owned the truck was super cheap and thought it didn't need to be replaced, used RTV to seal any gaps. He also didn't want to buy carrier bearings for his diff when we were picking bits of roller out of the bottom of the housing.

I bet there wasn't any gasket material on the head when pulled off or in the cylinders either.

There wasn't any gasket material on the head or block. It just kind of came off.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Replaced a few things - dizzy seal, oil pump seal, oil pressure sensor seal (that someone didn't even screw in all the way ...) and it started to leak worse.

Why was the seal dizzy ? Was it spinning around too fast ?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Replaced a few things - dizzy seal, oil pump seal, oil pressure sensor seal (that someone didn't even screw in all the way ...) and it started to leak worse.

Or was it just dizzy from saying 1-5-3-6-2-4 over and over?

Ive heard of people doing this. Like bdcardinal said, they tried RTV in the missing spots of the gasket.
They also reused the original bearings, which were worn down to the copper.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Ive heard of people doing this. Like bdcardinal said, they tried RTV in the missing spots of the gasket.
They also reused the original bearings, which were worn down to the copper.

Previous owner, however, spared no expense tracking down the high idle! Replaced ALL wiring and sensors on the engine. Turns out the throttle cable was sticky. Also thought it needed a new front axle because the vacuum disconnect stopped working.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Or was it just dizzy from saying 1-5-3-6-2-4 over and over?

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Be sure to tip your bartender!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back