'91 Yamaha 70hp 2 stroke questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Morning,

I might be looking at a used boat this coming week. I've been out of boating/fishing for at least a decade now, and would like to get caught up on TCW3 lubrication and general maintenance...

a. My last boat had a 150 hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI on it, so I used the expensive Yamaha Lube and Ring free at that time. For this particular engine listed in the title, should any TCW3 oil be sufficient? I know this particular motor is practically bullet proof, when taken care of.

b. I noticed at Menards, that their Pennzoil or QS 2 stroke oils do not meet TCW3 specs - should I avoid these oils?

c. I plan on running something through the first tank of gas, as the boat has had years with very limited use (son inherited it from his deceased father). Is Berryman B12 too harsh? Other recommendations?

d. I assume NGK copper plugs?

Thanks!

Two stroke oil is not all the same, tcw-3 additive packs are for outboards. Motorcycles and chain saws run at greatly different temperatures than water cooled outboard engines.

Use the tcw-3, and skip the miracle-in-a-bottle additive.

Run seafoam instead. Easier on carbs while still getting varnish. Also its a stabilizer. And it was invented for outboards

I have an early 70 Yamaha that I bought new in '84. I don't add a lot of hours each year and it's easy on gas/oil. I just use the Yamaha oil and mid grade 89 gas=all is well.

a. Any TCW-3 should be fine. I'd pick a reputable brand, but even the Walmart stuff is good.

b. Probably. Some of the newer two stroke DFI oils would probably be ok, but if it doesn't say TCW-3, don't use it. It usually costs more anyway.

c. Seafoam might help. Certainly won't hurt unless you're spraying it into the carbs without any TCW-3 running through the motor. If the engine starts and runs ok, just use it.

d. Can't help you there. You'll need to look at a manual. Likely will be NGK for a Japanese engine but the specific spec is important.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjk
Morning,

I might be looking at a used boat this coming week. I've been out of boating/fishing for at least a decade now, and would like to get caught up on TCW3 lubrication and general maintenance...

a. My last boat had a 150 hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI on it, so I used the expensive Yamaha Lube and Ring free at that time. For this particular engine listed in the title, should any TCW3 oil be sufficient? I know this particular motor is practically bullet proof, when taken care of.

b. I noticed at Menards, that their Pennzoil or QS 2 stroke oils do not meet TCW3 specs - should I avoid these oils?

c. I plan on running something through the first tank of gas, as the boat has had years with very limited use (son inherited it from his deceased father). Is Berryman B12 too harsh? Other recommendations?

d. I assume NGK copper plugs?

Thanks!

The Menards non-TCW oil has a bit of ash in it and is specifically for air cooled motors and Seadoo PWC's. Its usually more expensive that the TCW oil.....I know, I had to buy a gallon for my Seadoo ($25 a gallon).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back