Volvo coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Should I perform a cooling system chemical flush or not?

The car is a 2002 Volvo V70 base w/185K. The first owner had a coolant change done at a dealer when the car was 5 years old. That was about 120K ago.

I will renew the coolant, water pump, pulleys and hoses when I do the timing belt.

What would you do to the system beyond water rinses? I've read the Volvo coolant is very long lasting and, as always, keeping with the same coolant reduces the thoroughness with which one has to rinse.

I can't wait to see what's in the old coolant and the water pump's chamber. I'll take it from there. The pressure bottle and it's contents seem clean.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I can't wait to see what's in the old coolant and the water pump's chamber. I'll take it from there. The pressure bottle and it's contents seem clean.

Im very sure you will find absolutely nothing in the waterpump chamber, It will look as new if the OEM coolant have been used.
The OEM coolant is good for 10 years and i would not use anything else than that.

I'd just drain and refill. If you are really keen you could do a distilled water flush, but there's no need for a chemical flush unless your system is full of gunk & residue. If you are sticking with Volvo coolant, just refill as per instructions.

Unless you can see chunks of crud floating in the coolant, just do a couple of rinses with distiller water then fill up on Volvo coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back