Mobil 1 High Mileage in 2007 Fusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Ford Fusion 3.0L V6 currently at around 112,000 miles. It had synthetic blend changed every 4,000-5,000 miles its whole life until my last oil change where I switched to regular Mobil 1. My next oil change is coming up & I was figuring on using Mobil 1 high mileage 5W-20 until I saw that's it's only API SL certified where technically I should use API SM or SN in my car. Do you think it would matter if I used Mobil 1 high mileage in my car despite not having the latest rating? If not, what do you recommend? I'd really like to switch to a high mileage full synthetic but can't seem to find anything. I just want high mileage for the extra protection for the oil seals/gaskets as this car is getting some age on it now.

I wouldn't use the high mileage version, your car doesn't have high mileage anyways.

I'd just use the regular Mobil 1 but I'd use the 0w20

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I wouldn't use the high mileage version, your car doesn't have high mileage anyways.

I'd just use the regular Mobil 1 but I'd use the 0w20

I agree.....but the SL rating won't hurt your 2007 at all.

You could and benefit from the added seal conditioners. I'd consider it. Car is 8 years old now.

Yeah, it honestly is in my consideration obviously. My valve cover gasket was leaking & I replaced it at 106,000 miles. I was losing about a quart every 2,000 so it must've been pretty deteriorated. I replaced it & all is well with no oil leaks or burn off since but it's an 8 year old car & if one gasket was prone to leaking then the rest definitely are. This has been a super solid car & the 3.0L is a tank but 8 years old...

Nothing wrong with using that oil. Could easily go 7,500 miles in that engine.

Also, as others have said - 112,000 miles is nothing for that engine, as long as you've maintained it well.

If seals are your worry, why not go to Valvoline MaxLife synthetic blend 5w-20? It's well regarded here, seems to do a great job on stopping/ preventing leaks and is SN rated?

Originally Posted By: Danh
If seals are your worry, why not go to Valvoline MaxLife synthetic blend 5w-20? It's well regarded here, seems to do a great job on stopping/ preventing leaks and is SN rated?

I have considered it actually but I'm more of a full synthetic kind of guy now. I've enjoyed this longer change interval on Mobil 1. I don't mind changing oil but if I don't have to do it as often, it's more time to spend doing something else, right? I'd definitely go with Valvoline's MaxLife full synthetic but I can't find it anywhere in 5W-20 for a reasonable price.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Which begs the question. Why can't M1 HM meet at least SM specs?

I've thought the same thing. There are a lot of high mileage cars now that are SM & SN required. SL is a 2004 & before certification right? 2004 was a long time ago. Lol Most 2005-2008 vehicles are "high mileage" now.

Originally Posted By: Branson304

I've thought the same thing. There are a lot of high mileage cars now that are SM & SN required. SL is a 2004 & before certification right? 2004 was a long time ago. Lol Most 2005-2008 vehicles are "high mileage" now.

It has too much phosphorous for the SN standard. Phosphorous can poison catalytic converters so the maximum was reduced in SM/SN formulations. Now if your cars doesn't consume oil, the extra phosphorous may be of no harm.

It has too much phosphorous for the SN standard. Phosphorous can poison catalytic converters so the maximum was reduced in SM/SN formulations. Now if your cars doesn't consume oil, the extra phosphorous may be of no harm.

Isn't oil consumption one of the reasons that people run high mileage oils? I use it (successfully!) because my engine leaked like a sieve.

I have considered it actually but I'm more of a full synthetic kind of guy now. I've enjoyed this longer change interval on Mobil 1. I don't mind changing oil but if I don't have to do it as often, it's more time to spend doing something else, right? I'd definitely go with Valvoline's MaxLife full synthetic but I can't find it anywhere in 5W-20 for a reasonable price.

Realistically, on the Semi-synth MaxLife, you could run a 7500 mile OCI. Yes, I know that Ford technically specs 5000 mile OCI on the 2007's and 7500 mile OCI on 2008+, but really... what is the difference between the engine in the 2007 and the same engine in the 2008? From my perspective, they're not that different, and the ML Semi-synth is a good oil.

I would go with using M1 HM for preventative measures for 7500 miles, then use regular M1, and every 3rd OCI from now on continue to use M1 HM

Yea if you are changing it that often then maxlife's semi-syn would work just fine IMO.

If it's not using or leaking oil - just stay with regular M1. If it starts leaking, then switch to a HM oil.

If OP wants to condition the remaining seals that are not leaking, I would go for it. SL,SM or SN, it wont matter much, your car can't read.
grin.gif
I would probably use the Mobil 1 HM as your have already introduced Mobil 1 DNA into your engine. I use Maxlife in my 1991 motorcycle with positive results. Mobil 1 HM should produce similar results.

Last edited:
Valvoline Full Synthetic Maxlife is the only one out so far that is a full synthetic high mileage that meets the API SN Resource Conserving. It also is Dexos 1 approved. Advance Auto is running a special on it this month for $29.99/5 quarts and a good filter. It ends Wednesday, July 29. Just got some today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back