Mitsubishi to stop US production, close IL plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned a 2000 4cyl Galant, a 2002 V6 Galant, and a 2005 Endeavor AWD. No real issues to report, quite solid vehicles for us. The Endeavor's AWD system was very responsive. It was nearly impossible to spin the wheels with plenty of power available. That car felt very secure in handling for it's size. Fuel economy and front seat comfort were meh. It was unfortunate to see the Galant design languish.

I'd buy a (used) Outlander Sport at the right price if the need arose.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I don't think they will stay in the US market too much longer.

Isuzu pulled out of the US market a few years ago. Mitsubishi will be right behind them.

The first sentence is not exactly true-

Isuzu trucks celebrate 30 years in the U.S
Link-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Commercial_Truck_of_America,_Inc.

I have never had a Mitsubishi vehicle but I hate to hear of a plant closing and American workers losing their jobs.

You may not like Mitsubishi but this is not good news no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pezzy669
I have a feeling Mitsubishi will go down in history in textbooks on how NOT to run an automaker in the North American region.

Mitsubishi caught on fire courtesy of the 0-0-0 payment deal which ended up biting them in the rear but made them relevant and known in the market. They mostly pulled out of that circa early 2000's but then went into another death spiral due to allowing their bread and butter to just rot away on the vine (Eclipse and Galant). It is a real shame as I REALLY liked Mitsubishi circa the 99-03 Galant and 00-05 Eclipse. After that except for the blip on the radar that was the 2nd gen Outlander they pretty much gathered ZERO consideration from me while car shopping.

Why did they let the Galant just die (04+)? Making your bread and butter re-design a real underwhelming piece then letting it rot on the vine was just absolutely asinine. Seriously someone was passed out at the wheel at Mitsubishi N.A.
Fiat and the French guys already have that concept covered. Perhaps add Yugo to that, although the Yugo was just a Fiat.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I owned several Dodge (and Plymouth) Colts in my younger days....they were Mitsubishi made and great little cars.

I would buy a used Lancer or Galant in a minute but it would have to be a killer deal for me to buy a new one.

Back in the 70s during my college years (and here my age is showing) a number of my friends and I drove small Japanese cars. Anyway, my friend's '74 Dodge Colt (a rebadged Mitsu) was a great car - head and shoulders above my '71 Corolla or other friends' Datsun 510s or Honda Civics.

In Canada, we only saw Mitsus as Plymouths or Dodges - I don't think Mitsubishi started selling under its own marque here until the early 2000s.

Quality seemed to really drop off in the 80s - it was common to see not very old Dodge Colts leaving huge blue clouds behind when accelerating.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
The thing I don't understand though is how isolated Australia is and how small the market is yet they still ship them half way across the world for them to sit ignored in the dealership

New Zealand is a hugely more isolated and smaller market, and yet we have always had a more diverse range of vehicles available to us than most other countries. There is no local production to compete against, and so no Government loop holes to thread through. The lack of Mitsi product range is most likely getting them complied to however many states there are in the US.

Mitsi aren't as popular as they used to be, but still a presence in the market. There are still as many '80's L200's on the road as there are Hi Lux's, they were pretty tough back then.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
The thing I don't understand though is how isolated Australia is and how small the market is yet they still ship them half way across the world for them to sit ignored in the dealership

New Zealand is a hugely more isolated and smaller market, and yet we have always had a more diverse range of vehicles available to us than most other countries. There is no local production to compete against, and so no Government loop holes to thread through. The lack of Mitsi product range is most likely getting them complied to however many states there are in the US.

Mitsi aren't as popular as they used to be, but still a presence in the market. There are still as many '80's L200's on the road as there are Hi Lux's, they were pretty tough back then.

I agree - we lived in NZ in 03/04, and I was amazed at the range of very interesting vehicles available.

Saw an early-2000s Fiat Multipla daily driver - surely one of the weirdest-looking vehicles ever. Also saw a Citroen DS daily driver - very neat car!

Test-drove a couple of Mitsu vans and really liked them, but my wife objected to the column-mounted shifter. Very durable vehicles though, and well-regarded by the locals at that time.

Mitsubishi dealers don't mind selling a couple new Mitsus a month, the fact that they are a NEW CAR DEALER gives them much more credibility selling used cars of any make. I just hope the franchise fees aren't too onerous.

Friend had a dodge D50 pickup that burned a quart of oil every 200 miles since new. It fouled plugs randomly from it, too.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Mitsubishi has huge potential in the 4WD market, and they are pretty big in that segment in places like Australia and the Middle East. Unfortunately, this is not a big segment in the North American market. To clarify, for the average American customer, 4WD is something they like to have as "backup" in bad whether conditions and technology is so much relied upon to cover a lack of skill. Elsewhere, people actually take these vehicles off the road to some extreme conditions. Yes, the Jeep Wrangler is a popular vehicle in the U.S. for the likes of mudding and rock crawling, but that's not the segment the Japanese are targeting for their 4WDs, and this particular segment isn't as big as other markets. Anyone who says otherwise can tell me how many Land Cruisers Toyota sells in the U.S., compared to the likes of something like the Sequoia or 4Runner. Nissan also isn't selling their Patrol in North America either.

Vehicles like the Land Cruiser, Patrol and Pajero are geared more towards off road use and, although a lot more luxurious than previous generations with better on road manners, they're not really the first choice for everyday driving compared to something like a Sequoia or a Suburban. They have some of the best heavy duty suspension offerings around, but they ride harsh, their turning radius is wide and they were not engineered to be highway cruisers. Soccer moms look elsewhere. That right there explains why the Montero/Pajero was pulled out of the USDM, which was their strongest attribute.

Mitsubishi is capable of producing decent cars, but like many other manufacturers, they are not perfect. People quite often point out those oil burning Mitsubishis, but forget other manufacturers, particularly domestic, shoot themselves in the foot with cost cutting. Ford's two thread spark plug holes and nylon timing chain tensioners on the 4.6L, IMO, were a lot worse than bad valve stem seals on a 6G72.

That being said, their vehicles lack market appeal in North America for one reason or another. Their products are not exactly [censored] either - the brakes on the Lancer are a lot better than the Corolla IMO. I don't know if it's because of things like "refinement", marketing or simply costlier spare parts. Hyundai is pushing hard, but it seems there's a lot of brand loyalty that's hindering their efforts. Before going to CA, I have never in my life seen so many Toyotas and Hondas. When the rental company didn't have the Suburban I wanted, I wanted what they referred to as a "full-size" (mid size) and asked for an Impala over a Camry/Accord. The manager "couldn't understand why anyone would want an Impala".
Nor can I, especially if you want to keep it a long time.

Not to go off topic, and personal preference aside, is the Camry or Accord really God's gift to the mid side FWD segment? With all due respect to those who own or like them, I haven't particularly taken a shine to them, or any Asian car for that matter.

I always cringe when we get a Mitsu come through the used car prep process. Getting parts for them that must come from a dealer is an absolute nightmare. We used to be a Mercury dealer and for some reason people call us for Mitsubishi parts and throw fits when I tell them the closest one is in Bakersfield.

Bummer
frown.gif

I didn't know that they were made here. I like the Outlander sport. It's on the list of Focus replacements when the time comes ... if I can find one with a manual transmission

Originally Posted By: B20z
I've owned a 2000 4cyl Galant, a 2002 V6 Galant, and a 2005 Endeavor AWD. No real issues to report, quite solid vehicles for us. The Endeavor's AWD system was very responsive. It was nearly impossible to spin the wheels with plenty of power available. That car felt very secure in handling for it's size. Fuel economy and front seat comfort were meh. It was unfortunate to see the Galant design languish.

I'd buy a (used) Outlander Sport at the right price if the need arose.

I want your used Endeavor, where is it at? LOL
Why did you buy all those Galants back then? I could never see the appeal of that thing.
Now if the price was right, I could see Mitsu feeding us Galants at White Castle price/quality levels, and we'd like it.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I always cringe when we get a Mitsu come through the used car prep process. Getting parts for them that must come from a dealer is an absolute nightmare. We used to be a Mercury dealer and for some reason people call us for Mitsubishi parts and throw fits when I tell them the closest one is in Bakersfield.

You'd think that betweenn RockAuto.com and other internet buying outlets, one can order anything from anywhere these days, kind of like Sears Roebuck catalogs for the 21st century you know, all ez to get, shipped, no problem:
sears1.png

My friend just bought a new EVO. I had to try to not mock or laugh at him. I just know that it won't hold up the beating he puts on cars, and in a few years it might be an orphan for parts.

We must be the same age cause that was true here in MD.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
When I was a kid the car to have was a Eclipse or Talon.

All the cool kids had the AWD Turbo Model.

So Mitsubishis are hard to find parts for when they get old and start to wear out?

Maybe I should reconsider? My vehicles, thus far, have been ones that were so popular they are everywhere in a junkyard.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
the other model of Mitsu I always liked:

BEL7407-P-40N-NL85104-A6M-3-Model-22-Zero-NX712Z-left-side-in-flight-l-326x159.jpg

...there's a 'joke' here about Mitsubishi 'taking a nose dive'.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
My friend just bought a new EVO. I had to try to not mock or laugh at him. I just know that it won't hold up the beating he puts on cars, and in a few years it might be an orphan for parts.

Actually EVOs can take more beating than their competitor STI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back