Alcohol And Ambition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"If you drink a lot of BEER, you DRINK a LOT." Fighter pilots were once told that top of the line jocks were no better than average after spending half the night at the "O Club" bar, and that one day they might meet a guy on the other side who didn't. My wife was in the substance abuse treatment field for years, once you get too far gone the recovery rate's about 20%. Act now. Don't end up like a good friend, a former Air Force One pilot who hid it for years and then finally did himself in. Just prior to that he spent 30 days in a treatment center CONVINCED he didn't belong there. His slide really started when the local LEOs quit driving him home and charged him one night. Guess who he ended up before.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Win
Alcohol = complete waste of money.

That's the absolute best case scenario.

Not so. Alcohol can be extremely damaging in so many ways. However, in moderation, it extends life.

http://www.rwjf.org/en/culture-of-health/2013/08/alcohol_and_lifeexp.html
"research has documented that both heavy drinkers and nondrinkers have higher risks of premature death than their peers who drink in moderation"

http://www.psmag.com/health-and-behavior/truth-wont-admit-drinking-healthy-87891

MTI3NTgyNDY5NTMxODAwODUw.jpg

There are now a large number of studies that show the same results. Moderate alcohol consumption results in longer lifespan. In fact, one study put a number on it. People that drink one drink per day live an average of 2.5 years longer.

People with addiction problems don't stick to "moderate". If one is good, FIVE ain't better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
People with addiction problems don't stick to "moderate". If one is good, FIVE ain't better.

Of that, there is no question. Nor do I suggest that people with addiction problems continue to drink.

There is nothing positive that results from abusing alcohol. If you are wondering if you have an alcohol problem, the answer is 100% yes.

Alcohol abuse and uncontrolled addiction is a horrible lifelong tragedy for the user as well as their family and loved ones. If you can't or won't admit you have a problem and get help for yourself, PLEASE go get help for the sake of your family and those that care about you.

Warstud: I think I understand. There are certain types of paperwork that I need to do, but I hate. I used to be able to take a drink or two, and blast through it. I was able to do it accurately, and quickly enough. However, alcohol is a drug that I discovered I really liked. So, after a period of time self-medicating in this way, I was drinking almost constantly. Every night I would drink to excess. When I finally understood that I was in danger of destroying my closest family relationships, it was time for AA.

My family relationships are secure, thank God. I am now a recovering alcoholic, I guess, and I have to find other ways to deal with certain types of drudgery. Some of the paperwork I can sub out. I managed to nearly destroy my stomach, but with Nexium, I'm OK. I didn't drink heavily for very long, but it was long enough to see where I was going. I still have things I want to accomplish in life, and they're mostly incompatible with drinking, for me at least.

If you're truly having a drink or two occasionally, no big deal. If it's more like a drink or 10, that's a different story. I knew a guy who drank two beers every day after work. I don't see that as a problem, but that's not how I drink, so I don't drink at all.

How much do you drink??? And do you drink to excess everyday, during the day, while at work or working? If so, then yea, you got a problem!

Been there done that when I was younger. It's fun for a while, but if you keep doing it, you'll lose your life and get in a heap of trouble.

You have 2 choices, both of which start with stopping drinking for about a year. Ween yourself off to make it safer in the beginning. After a year, if you CHOOSE to try drinking again and can do so responsibly and within safe guidelines (No more than 21 units a week, no more than 2 drinks a day (3 of you're Irish...), and not drinking 2 days a week), have at er, but if it gets out of hand again, you'll probably need to make the serious life's choice to stop forever.

I tried/chose the latter route and only have a few beers on the weekend AFTER I'm completely done with EVERYTHING I need to get done for the week, and by that time, I can only stomach 2 or 3 beers before I'm ready to sleep. I stopped drinking prior to that for over a year and have been able to keep it in moderation.

Drinking is one thing; it's the glue sniffing you really need to worry about.
20.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jorton
I have a mental disorder. It is called dysthymia. I call it laziness. A few beers motivates me to do my chores. And my honey-dos. Does this sound like you situation? If a few counseling sessions will cure my disorder I may not need a few beers to motivate me any more. If I need counseling for the life, then I'll suspend counseling and continue drinking beer. Cheers!

This sounds alot like my situation. Little motivation while at home but work hard at my job and do it sober.

Not so. Alcohol can be extremely damaging in so many ways. However, in moderation, it extends life.

There's been one flaw that's been found with these studies. It doesn't eliminate teetotalers who must not drink because of a dire medical condition. But, that's just me nitpicking.

Grew up with a family of alcoholics. I have seen it both ways. Seen the person who drinks, and becomes lazy, and therefore is poor. They do just enough work to get by, but nothing else.

Have also seen the drunk who works hard and parties after work.

Either way booze is hard on the body, it tears it apart.

Me personally, I like a couple craft beers once in a while and that's about it. Too much risk with the DUI laws, and other crimes that you can be charged for.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Grew up with a family of alcoholics. I have seen it both ways. Seen the person who drinks, and becomes lazy, and therefore is poor. They do just enough work to get by, but nothing else.

Have also seen the drunk who works hard and parties after work.

Either way booze is hard on the body, it tears it apart.

Me personally, I like a couple craft beers once in a while and that's about it. Too much risk with the DUI laws, and other crimes that you can be charged for.

I have worked with both and I find it simply amazing that someone can drink and party so hard and still show up put in an honest 8-10hr shift.

My mom was an alcoholic- not the falling down drunk type, but always had a mixed drink in her hand, or at her side... from the age of??? (since I can remember) I am told she started drinking at around 16-18 though. Always fully functioning, hard working and always took care of me and her pets (step dad wasn't around much at all from around age 13- long story) . I was 18 and a senior in high school when she collapsed in the yard and her friend (now my wife) and I had to take her to the ER. About a month later we disconnected her life support. She suffered multi organ failure, brought about from years of drinking too much for her relatively small size.

In spite of of what is in my past- I still have rather open views on drinking. I believe it really varies by person. Some can handle drinking and some simply cannot or should not. I drink, but rarely to excess. Usually it's a couple mixed drinks and a healthy buzz 3-5 times a week, then I'm done. I don't enjoy being really drunk... especially in the evening as it makes for poor sleeping.

I do not feel that 2-3 to "motivate" yourself is a problem in a sense, but I also feel that you shouldn't need any booze to "motivate" yourself to do honey do's.

Originally Posted By: Garak

There's been one flaw that's been found with these studies. It doesn't eliminate teetotalers who must not drink because of a dire medical condition. But, that's just me nitpicking.

Actually, that's not true. There are now nearly 2500 studies showing roughly the same results. In many of those studies, the participants needed to be healthy.

In some studies, the participants needed to have certain conditions.

The data is then correlated and presented accordingly. It's rather interesting. As alcohol does increase certain cancer rates. Yet, the "all causes" rate of death is significantly lower. The two are nowhere near equal.

Interestingly, if one is over 60, a drink per day significantly reduces the chance of early death. The most likely cause of early death would be cardiovascular issues, such as heart attack or stroke.

It seems that "binge drinking" is quite problematic, whereas one drink has positives.

Time after time, we see the same conclusion:

"In healthy populations, moderate alcohol consumption is associated with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease, including a lower risk of cardiovascular and all-cause mortality"

Last edited:
Actually, that's not true. There are now nearly 2500 studies showing roughly the same results. In many of those studies, the participants needed to be healthy.

Good to know. If that little variable has been appropriately addressed, as it was not in early studies, that's the way it should be, then. Yes, binge drinking is problematic. It used to be a hobby of mine.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: Warstud
It's getting to the point to where I can't get much done without a drink. Is that a sign of something wrong. Thoughts.

I celebrated 26 yrs sober in AA last Saturday.

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for-you-twelve-questions-only-you-can-answer

You're welcome to PM me if you want.

Bob

I totalled up 10 "Yes" answers to that. Years ago, when I first got sober, I did the 40-question test, the one that suggests that if you answer 3 questions "Yes," you are almost certainly an alcoholic.

I answered 37. So, yes, I've been in the program a while.

Originally Posted By: Garak

In some studies, the participants needed to have certain conditions.

The data is then correlated and presented accordingly. It's rather interesting. As alcohol does increase certain cancer rates. Yet, the "all causes" rate of death is significantly lower. The two are nowhere near equal.

Interestingly, if one is over 60, a drink per day significantly reduces the chance of early death. The most likely cause of early death would be cardiovascular issues, such as heart attack or stroke.

It seems that "binge drinking" is quite problematic, whereas one drink has positives.

Time after time, we see the same conclusion:

"In healthy populations, moderate alcohol consumption is associated with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease, including a lower risk of cardiovascular and all-cause mortality"

The problem is that one MUST stay within safe drinking limits, which really aren't that much. In the USA, CDC safe drinking limits for men are no more than 2 standard units of alcohol in one day, not to exceed 14 a week. The most lenient recommendations like Hong Kong are no more than 4 a day and no more than 21 units a week.

http://www.drinkingandyou.com/site/pdf/sensible%2520drinking.pdf

For anyone that has had an alcohol problem, 14 drinks a week can be had by Monday afternoon!

It's getting to the point to where I can't get much done without a drink. Is that a sign of something wrong. Thoughts.

What time do you start drinking in the morning (assuming that you start getting things done in the morning)?

Can you not drink if you put your mind to it?

As others have noted, it depends upon what you mean.
If I have three beers before during and after an hour and a half behind the lawnmower, I don't feel too badly about it.
If I had to have three beers just to consider getting it out of the garage and starting it, then that might be a problem.
If I told myself that once you have the old starter out of the E350, you may reward yourself with a beer, that's probably okay.
If I needed to drink a few just to contemplate getting under the thing, then that might be a sign of something wrong.
So, it does depend upon what you mean.

My understanding is that if you're using the words "can't" and "without a drink" together, you might have some thinking to do. This is one of those problems that gets exponentially darker and omnipresent in your life the more you don't confront it.

Unfortunately, there are a whole lot of people with a lot of experience with this. Fortunately, if you need a hand at any stage of your contemplation of, or engagement with, this issue there are a lot of people ready to lend one.

Although very well-meaning, I think the folks here asking about when and how much you're drinking are missing the point. It is about dependence (which, of course, drinking early and often can indicate!) and the downward spiral of being trapped, dependently, on poisoning yourself in order to function. And often times the twisted mind of someone dependent like that is the last mind qualified to evaluate itself.

Not if you are a taste-tester for Anheuser-Busch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back