Not test driving a car before buying it

Status
Not open for further replies.
It amazes me how some people don't do this before shelling out a good hunk of change on a car. I know several family members and acquaintances that after purchasing new and used cars, complained about the brakes, wind noise, power, etc. These are all simple things that can be picked up with a proper test drive. Some of them said they didn't test drive the car period and others said they only went around the block or on the short pre-set route the salesman took them on. I'm not even talking about hidden mechanical issues on used cars that are sometimes missed on the test drive but simple things like a car's driving dynamics.

Some folks just want an appliance, and a recommendation of a family member or Consumers Reports is all they need to buy one.

When you buy a fridge, you don't first take it home and put some food in it to see how it cools.

My wife hates car shopping. If it wasn't for me, she would not be test driving anything either. She'd just go sit in a few and would pick the one with the best looking interior and exterior. Driving dynamics: what's that?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Some folks just want an appliance, and a recommendation of a family member or Consumers Reports is all they need to buy one.

When you buy a fridge, you don't first take it home and put some food in it to see how it cools.

My wife hates car shopping. If it wasn't for me, she would not be test driving anything either. She'd just go sit in a few and would pick the one with the best looking interior and exterior. Driving dynamics: what's that?

+1. When a "toy" car is in the budget, I'll absolutely be concerned with the driving experience. Until that time, my vehicles have a purpose, and they serve it. There isn't much in the SUV/Van segment that's particularly inspiring.

Edited to read "+1" instead of "This." eww.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fsdork
When a "toy" car is in the budget, I'll absolutely be concerned with the driving experience.

Mmmm.... toy car. I just sold my motorcycle. Maybe a toy car is in my future...

I didn't test drive my Focus before I bought it. I just walked into the dealer and inquired about a 5 speed manual Focus. The price was right so I bought it.

I recall driving a similar one a few years before (2008). But it had shorter gearing. I would have liked that a lot better.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
It amazes me how some people don't do this before shelling out a good hunk of change on a car. I know several family members and acquaintances that after purchasing new and used cars, complained about the brakes, wind noise, power, etc. These are all simple things that can be picked up with a proper test drive. Some of them said they didn't test drive the car period and others said they only went around the block or on the short pre-set route the salesman took them on. I'm not even talking about hidden mechanical issues on used cars that are sometimes missed on the test drive but simple things like a car's driving dynamics.

I've run into at least two utter morons who bought Jeep Wranglers(yes, the idiots test drove them first) and the imbeciles now complain about the Jeeps' ride, interior noise, and the difficulty of dropping and raising the convertible top. Kind of like buying a 911 and then complaining about the lack of rear seat legroom...

I test drove an Impala over the weekend that had a bad vibration at freeway speeds that could not be detected below about 60 MPH, and had water pooling in the bottom of the trunk. It had 12 miles on it.

Buy a car without test driving it at your own peril.

No offense but there is a big difference between a 1000 dollar fridge and a 10,000-40,000 dollar car.

To be fair, it is very hard to process all the new information / feedback you are getting from driving something different.

You might be able to tell if the brakes grab or the steering pulls to one side, or if the car lacks power, but most people are not mechanics and can't disconnect themselves from their fear of driving something new to concentrate on noises, or other aspects that might become annoyances later.

Add in that often the route for the test drive is not the same area they routinely drive....and some pushy salesperson might have decided to tag along :eek:(

I always try to take a car home, drive my regular roads, and have my wife spend some time in the car - she has better hearing than me and might pick up something I'd miss.

Originally Posted By: Skittles
No offense but there is a big difference between a 1000 dollar fridge and a 10,000-40,000 dollar car.

Valid point.

I guess it also depends on how that appliance (car) is bought. You could easily get yourself into some $120/month 2-3 year lease special, at which point it is just a monthly payment to you. If you're not going to keep the vehicle for a very long time, then you care even less about doing all the homework and test driving before signing on the dotted line.

Again, that's not me. I'm just trying to get in the heads of those that don't test drive.
smile.gif

Doing extensive test drives to uncover all the likes/dislikes can take significant amount of time. Some people would rather spend that time doing something else. I can't blame them. It is just a car. Not a life sentence.

And a lot more difficult than driving a car for a little while. But a car salesman told me that half his customers just buy without any test drive, I can't imagine.

John

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: mclasser

I've run into at least two utter morons who bought Jeep Wranglers(yes, the idiots test drove them first) and the imbeciles now complain about the Jeeps' ride, interior noise, and the difficulty of dropping and raising the convertible top. Kind of like buying a 911 and then complaining about the lack of rear seat legroom...

If they have a problem with the current generation Wrangler and it's soft top ... they should have had an old CJ. THOSE tops were painful.

Are these same American's who clearly do not try on clothes either and just wear them no matter how terrible they fit or look on them.

Yep, sometimes the fridge handles better than the 10k-40k car
wink.gif

Having three Camrys in the fleet, I'd buy another new one without a test drive. If you're going from a Mustang to an SUV, better try it.

It's an analogy, not a comparison. There is some abstract comprehension required that isn't beyond the ability of most intelligent adults.

I have scoured the web for info before I even think of going to the dealer. Between google searches and you tube, you're in fair shape as far as knowledge of the car you're considering goes.
I also have a loan approved so there's little the F&I man can do except beat my rate. Many of the services (profit centers for the dealer such as gap insurance etc.) the F&I provides can be bought at a discount at most credit unions for a substantial discount. I bought a $800 gap ins pack for $200 from Johnson Space Center credit union without getting a loan from them years ago.
When I bought my '13 Mazdaspeed 3, a short test drive was all I needed having owned an '08 and regretting selling it. That test drive just confirmed that everything worked well and I was good to go. I already knew what I was buying.
Looking back I could have bought a Focus ST but they were brand new and an unknown as far as quality was concerned. My Speed was built in Hirosima with over 90% Japanese parts (IIRC) and it shows.
But as listed in other posts above an extended test drive is very prudent - my Speed was an exception that rule; I was righting an idiotic wrong I had committed when I sold the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back