Towing and short OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running 10w30 M1 in my 2012 4.0 V6 Nissan Pathfinder I usually change it out at around 7,000 miles to keep the warranty happy. I plan to be towing my 5,000 lb travel trailer for prob a total of 3,000 miles this summer so should I shorten my OCI or would the M1 10w30 do fine for the 7,000 miles even towing? By the way the truck calls for 5w30 but WM was sold out so M1 5w30 so 10w30 was all that was left so I went with it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why do you run syn oil?

No particular reason I guess I have always run synthetic in all my cars and trucks since 1987. Also the fact it would handle the heat better for towing and would be better when it gets -20F here in the winter for starting.

By the way it's the regular M1 not the EP M1

What does the owners manual say about towing and/or severe service?

I think you are fine, especially if that 3k of towing is not all in one shot. But if you are concerned about warranty, go by the manual.

Syn? Why not!

Towing=severe service. Change it out!

Consider a thicker oil for towing. 0w40 is a good start. M1 10w30HM is pretty thick too.

Motor oil...3750 or 3 months, whichever comes 1st. ATF/transfercase/differentials change at 30k.

2012? still have a warranty?

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Syn? Why not!

Consider a thicker oil for towing. 0w40 is a good start. M1 10w30HM is pretty thick too.

Motor oil...3750 or 3 months, whichever comes 1st. ATF/transfercase/differentials change at 30k.

Yes it's 5 year 60k for engine and drivetrain on my Nissan. I think I will dump the oil out at 5,000 miles and send off an oil sample just for kicks.

The syn oil should with out stress handle what ever "abuse " you are going to ask of it.

Keep doing what you are doing.
A 2012 anything running any well known syn oil will do awesome towing or not. It's all computer controlled. That's why oci monitoring works so well.
You don't need to switch grades or anything else.
Keep it up and the engine will last forever.

I'd run what your manual states for oil weight. My routine is if I'm going on a major road trip (towing) and I'm at 75% of my oil change mileage I change it. Then after the trip I go the normal mileage as recommended by the manufacturer.

Why a 40? Use what the manual specs. If the current crop of heavy diesels pulling 80,000 lb over the entire N. American continent, year round, are fine with a factory fill and continued use of 10w30, why would the OP need to diverge from that and use a 40w? And some of those heavy diesels have OEM recommended OCI's of 50,000 miles.

And a 10w30 is pretty thick too? Compared to a 5w30? Aren't they both the same viscosity at operating temperatures? Maybe something changed recently and that is not true anymore.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Syn? Why not!

Yes it's 5 year 60k for engine and drivetrain on my Nissan. I think I will dump the oil out at 5,000 miles and send off an oil sample just for kicks.

Pending the OEM manual sometimes its says to dump the oil immediately after the towing especially in hilly areas. This may also include the diff fluid and auto trans fluid as well and not just the engine oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back