Wounded Vets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm growing tired of soldier worship.

I don't think many of them expect or want to be worshiped. I do think they deserve recognition and support for making sacrifices for their country. Now, whether you think they are deployed for the right reasons is a whole other conversation, but that's outside of an individual soldier's control.

I'm more tired of politician worship or athlete worship or movie actor worship...

It's sad that we live in a country that requires donations from private citizens to help our vets while our tax dollars help foreigners and our own people who often are responsible for their own situation (drugs, alcohol etc....)

Political leanings aside...It is not about worship, it is about Honoring the sacrifice they made for their country. Whether they sacrificed their life, marriage, fatherhood, bodily or mental health they have earned and deserve our gratitude and respect.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets

Political leanings aside...It is not about worship, it is about Honoring the sacrifice they made for their country. Whether they sacrificed their life, marriage, fatherhood, bodily or mental health they have earned and deserve our gratitude and respect.

+1

Gratitude yes, support yes, but the majority are OK. The wounded should get some extra support maybe use some of $ we give away to gain influence.
But tried of worship too, people acting like losses weren't massively in our favor. 21 century weaponry n I know politicians fault. W. & hysteria after attacks.
But its just gonna keep happening, people don't learn fast enough

Originally Posted By: pbm

I'm more tired of politician worship or athlete worship or movie actor worship...

It's sad that we live in a country that requires donations from private citizens to help our vets while our tax dollars help foreigners and our own people who often are responsible for their own situation (drugs, alcohol etc....)
+1 I suggest "Tommy Atkins" by Kipling.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets

+1
+2

It's easy to worship them than actually do something meaningful for them -- put a yellow ribbon on your car to show appreciation while avoiding them when they beg for money on a busy street.

"Oh making' mock of uniforms that guard you as you sleep, is CHEAPER than them uniforms, and they're STARVATION cheap".

"It's Tommy this and Tommy that, and Tommy go away, but it's "YES SIR Mr. Atkins" when the band begins to play". Kipling. I've heard that band.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

It's easy to worship them than actually do something meaningful for them -- put a yellow ribbon on your car to show appreciation while avoiding them when they beg for money on a busy street.
Having been there, I was often referred veterans in trouble by other lawyers. Some were already beyond my help.

What about police and firemen? That too?

Originally Posted By: Plumber

What about police and firemen? That too?

Firemen is OK.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

Having been there, I was often referred veterans in trouble by other lawyers. Some were already beyond my help.

I really hate that the "soldier worship" is really money raising for certain charities. WWP and etc are returning so little to the vets, the rest goes to overhead. WWP started out helping soldiers and has become a big celebrity money gobbling cause celeb. If you look at the figures of money used to benefit those in need vs. overhead you will find over 90% is spent on the fund raisers.
I hate that so much is raised for the soldiers who get so little. It isn't right, but all you can do is examine where your money goes and contribute to those who deserve it.
About 2 cents worth.
Smoky

Smoky, taking care of the vets is not something to be taken care of by charities. It is the government that recruits the soldiers and puts them through the meat grinder. So it should be the government that takes care of the after effects, too.

But as I said, it is easy for us as a society to put a $3.00 yellow ribbon on a car than demand anything meaningful to be done such as... do we need such a large military force, do we need all these wars, why don't we take care of the vets after they are no longer in the military, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back