Any Painters Out There? Advice on Astro Pneumatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all...figured this was the closest forum to ask this question. Has anyone out there used the HVLP guns sold by Astro Pneumatic? What did you think? I am looking at one of these or getting a Graco Sharpe Finex 3000 or an Iwata Air Gunsa AZ3.

I will be using it to paint guitars with acrylic lacquer as well as doing some light basecoat/clearcoat work.

For stuff the size you want to do a full size HVLP is way overkill. A nice Iwata LPH 80 104G with E4 aircap is perfect.
Low CFM, 5" spray fan, a perfect touch up or smaller project gun of the best quality.
I got mine direct from Japan from this seller, great deal and 100% legit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANEST-IWATA-Grav...=item33a3736793

BTW the Astro sucks as does the Airgunza (it is not a real Iwata) both have garbage air caps and are CFM hogs.

I have the Finex in both 20 (3000) and 4 ounce size (1000). So far the surface finish has been acceptable and the only complaint I have is the reservoir caps do not hold up very well to chems. Not a big deal if you're going to replace the cup with a 3M disposable system.

If you like, you can demo either of mine before purchasing.

Ran into a guy at my pop's shop today that upgraded to a high end Sata and is selling a barely used DeVilbiss FLG4. I can have it for 110 bucks and it comes with a 1.3, 1.5, and 1.8 tips.

Thinking that might be my ticket.

FLG4 is a decent mid priced gun as was the FLG3. Do you need such a large gun for what your doing? They take a lot of air to run them and are best for large surfaces like automotive. Good price though.
These things chuck a lot of paint out, they are not very economical on paint use. I painted a small tractor fender with the lph 80 Iwata and it used about 8oz of 1:1 reduced paint with very little over spray, the full sized would have used double that.
The 1.0 tip on the small gun is equal to a 1.3 on a big gun.

If you are going to use a 2K clear which is nice on wood get an air mask, not a cartridge respirator. The 2K contains isocyanate that a normal respirator wont stop and give you permanent disabling lung damage.

I would like to have the option of doing larger objects such as tables.

I actually have a pretty darn good compressor so air supply is not a real issue.

I will pull the trigger on the DeVilbiss. I can always upgrade later when I have more cash flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back