Toyota OEM vs Mahle Air Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I replaced the EOM filter in my Tacoma with a Mahle.

What part number? Where was it made?

I bought Mahle LX3487 from Amazon for 2014 Accord few month ago,it was on sale for $7.xx. It's made in China too but seems like high quality filter, the fuzzy media likes Honda OEM filter.

what sort of lifespan can i expect from the original toyota air filter i have bought?

Whatever your owner's manual specifies for a replacement interval.

Originally Posted By: slybunda
what sort of lifespan can i expect from the original toyota air filter i have bought?

Normally, an air filter can lasted 30-40k or more miles in a not so dusty environment.

The air filter in my 11 years old Honda S2000 has more than 50k miles, it doesn't look so clogged and I plan to keep it in for another 10-20k miles.

The air filter in my 15 years old MB E430 has more than 40k miles, it looks clean and I plan to keep it in for another 20-30k miles.

By the way, I use prefilter in both cars.

hmm where can i get a prefilter from and where would i fit it?? car is a toyota celica year 2000 1.8.
thanks.

My pre-filters are free ! It is my wife's discarded panty hoses.

I cut it to about 1 feet long and insert it at the opening of the intake on front of the air box. Every year either I discard the used ones if I have more discarded panty hoses from wife, or wash it if I don't have new supplies.

The panty hoses catches a lot of bugs, leaves, sands ... so that the filter only needs to catch finer particles such as dust, pollens ...

On my S2000 I took what you did but I stole 1/2 pair of the wife's knee high nylons and stretch it over the S2000 cone filter. I should take two socks because the wife thinks the washer eats one every now and then.
blush.gif

ROD

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My pre-filters are free ! It is my wife's discarded panty hoses.

I cut it to about 1 feet long and insert it at the opening of the intake on front of the air box. Every year either I discard the used ones if I have more discarded panty hoses from wife, or wash it if I don't have new supplies.

The panty hoses catches a lot of bugs, leaves, sands ... so that the filter only needs to catch finer particles such as dust, pollens ...

Not thought of that! I will give that a try. Now you are talking where the air first enters under the hood. in my case on the Camry right at the front of the engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
You want to insert panty hose between the inlet tube and the air box.
A picture would be much helpful , pls , take care and thanks.

panty hose as prefilter is a good idea.. you can probably achieve the same result by taking out the air filter every year and giving it a good shake in the direction of the dirty side. Will dislodge most of the bigger debris (leaves, bugs, sand, etc..) that get caught in there. another thing you could do beyond that is to vacuum the dirty side with a shopvac.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
my guess is, its the german type names that attract people. say the Mahle has a non german name would you perceive it differently??

WRONG!!

The attraction to Mahle and Mann is the fact that they were, and still are, OEMs.

MY car manufacturer approached these two filter manufacurers to come up with a product that has the robustness and efficiency to be used as a warrantied, factory part.

Aftermarket companies only care about gasket size and bypass pressure, and then we have horror stories of them tearing?!

I'll stick with OEM, thanks..

Originally Posted By: Olas
The attraction to Mahle and Mann is the fact that they were, and still are, OEMs.

-snip-

Aftermarket companies only care about gasket size and bypass pressure, and then we have horror stories of them tearing?!

I'll stick with OEM, thanks..

You realize that the aftermarket companies with the horror stories of tearing also supply OEM's, right? And Motorcraft filters have torn, including the popular 400s and 810.

And anyway, this thread/forum is about AIR filters, which don't tear.

The real irony, however, is that Mann and German Bosch are used as OEM equipment, and in European applications are fantastic filters. For North American options, unfortunately, they are the Purolator Classic and Bosch Premium, respectively. At one time, I had complete confidence in those filters.

As for air filters, though, I haven't seen a lot of issues with any good name brand or OEM filters. The Canadian Tire jobber line up here used to have some pretty meager pleating on the round filters of the day, and Fram had its bad moments, too. Back then, I stuck mostly with OEM filters for the Fords. In the past twenty years or so, OEM, Fram, and Wix all suit me fine for air filters. For the Audi, it was Mann.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back