M1 5w20 Fram XG2 15,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is a 2003 Crown Vic P71 with a factory oil cooler and 161,000 miles. Thoughts on using a good filter like the in the title and M1 5w20 for a full 15k miles. I know it's not the Extended performance M1 but since the car has an oil cooler, sees 75% highway driving and I don't beat on it, I figured it shouldn't be too much of a gamble. I scored 7 quarts of the oil at a thrift store at $3 a quart. =D. I've read the Modular is hella easy on oil and with a 7 quart capacity with a oil cooler I figured the oil should handle it with ease. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I wouldn't run that far on the initial fill due to unknown additive clash. Maybe 7.5k-10k. The 2nd OCI i'd go for the full 15k.

Yeah I forgot to mention last 3 oil changes have been Chevron conventional at 5k intervals. Got lazy and was going to an Oilstop chain lol.

The XG2 will be fine for 15K OCI (here are some pictures of one with 15K on it). I have also used M1 AFE 0W-20 for a 15K OCI, but I had it tested at 10K (UOAs). With as many highway miles as you are doing it will probably be OK to go 15K, but be sure to check the oil level as that would likely get you into trouble before a depleted TBN will. If this is a "one-time" use of M1, I might chance it and not UOA, but if you are going to start a steady diet of it to 15K, I would want to know how the oil was holding up.

I think you should use Extended Performance if you're wanting to do 15,000 mile change intervals. The Fram Ultra will be good for 15,000 miles & beyond though.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
You returned oil to a thrift store?

Three dollar Mobil 1 ?

Maybe he returned it after he drained back out, and put it back in the bottles.

Garden variety Mobil 1 is not a 15K mile oil. I would change it out on that car at about 7500 miles.

Save the XG2 for when you get a 15K oil like Mobil 1 EP or Amsoil SS. I would run a Motorcraft FL1-A with that Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Garden variety Mobil 1 is not a 15K mile oil. I would change it out on that car at about 7500 miles.
Only a UOA would be the way to know for sure. I ran AFE for 15K with TBN remaining.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
You returned oil to a thrift store?

Three dollar Mobil 1 ?

Haha no. I took it to Wal-mart and they gave me store credit. I double checked the quarts and they weren't cracked open.

Much good advice has been offered here. I too have a Ford Crown Vic PI, a 2000. My owners manual says 5-30 or 10-30 but mine doesn't give an option to use a lighter weight. Its a 4.6L engine. Personally, I just go up to 6K miles on Synthetic, 3K on conventional, a new filter every time.

Originally Posted By: MikeHigg
Much good advice has been offered here. I too have a Ford Crown Vic PI, a 2000. My owners manual says 5-30 or 10-30 but mine doesn't give an option to use a lighter weight. Its a 4.6L engine. Personally, I just go up to 6K miles on Synthetic, 3K on conventional, a new filter every time.

I like your thinking.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back