Fram PH16 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

This came off my newly purchased 02 grand caravan. Unknown miles or time on this filter. Did this oil change just after I changed out the intake manifold gasket. Lots of crud trapped in the media which I suspect flaked off the old gasket. I'm surprised at how even the pleats are in this PH16. Years ago the PH16 was the ugliest fram you could imagine. Replaced it with another PH16 for now and PYB 10w-30.

The damage is from me being clumsy with a drill. I couldn't get the tin snips to bite the can. So I tried to drill it and went too far.

Nice work. I agree with you, the PH16 has typically been about the ugliest Fram out there (and the PH8A larger twin). This one looks far better than any I've ever seen.

How many pleats on it? Can you read the date code? Maybe they finally have improved this part number.

The date code is A50341 if I'm reading it correctly. 36 pleats.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
How many miles/how much time on it?

No idea. I didn't bother asking the dealer when it was last changed. I change everything as soon as I take possession of a new vehicle. The oil in it didn't look very old however the gasket job released a bunch of crud into the oil and contaminated it.

Originally Posted By: Run
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
How many miles/how much time on it?
No idea. I didn't bother asking the dealer when it was last changed. I change everything as soon as I take possession of a new vehicle. The oil in it didn't look very old however the gasket job released a bunch of crud into the oil and contaminated it.
Thanks. It does not look awful, but for me, the Extra Guard does not have enough media in it, however, for a cleaning OCI or one between 3 and 5K, should be fine. Are you going to do another short OCI to catch the remainder of the crud or do you think you grabbed all of it?

I'm going to run a short oci to be safe and then send a sample for a UOA. Before the end of summer I plan to go 5w-30 and an Ultra.

that looks much better than i expected for a cardboard filter i guess they improved it a little because so many people cut them open and expose oil filters.

PH16 and PH8A were always the epitome of junk, but it looks okay. I still wouldn't run one on my engine.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Pic # 3 looks like a tear

OP said he caused the damage by drilling the can ... read the first post.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Stewie
Pic # 3 looks like a tear

OP said he caused the damage by drilling the can ... read the first post.

Maybe it is an actual tear
wink.gif

Look okay to me.. It did its job....

There are no tears in it.. It might not be pretty but who cares.. Its a oil filter.

I see nothing wrong with that filter.

Its a 3000 - 4000 mile oil filter...

You got your $ worth IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back