Cobalt cooling fan relays only works sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I replaced the fan earlier this year do to a bad motor, and everything working great until a month ago when the car started overheating. After doing some testing it came down to the relays, so I went to the parts store and replaced them. Everything works again....for a few days. So I got those replaced for free. Now when I turn the ac on to turn on the fan and plug in cooling fan relay 1(low speed) I can hear it clicking and the fan will start to move then stop. Now If the relay is fully plugged in nothing will happen if its plugged in at a slight angle it will come on and stay on....sometimes. Same thing with high speed fan relay only it can be fully plugged in and work but only sometimes. I really don't know what to look for at this point. thanks

Sounds like the sockets for the relays were damaged when the fan motor died. There was some corrosion, they got hot, may have melted some but at any point you aren't making a good connection.

Replace the sockets.

The Sockets/Spades in the electrical center are stretched out? Not making good contact with the relay?

The correct repair is to replace the entire electrical center.

You can "Try" to take it apart & fix it, It is far more complicated than it sounds!

Wire in 2 separate Relays & bypass the electrical center, I can tell you what wires you need to use & where they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back