Cold start up concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas. I have a 2014 tundra. Dark grey color. Here in florida the sun gets pretty intense and I am trying to keep it in the shade as much as I can. I have the option of putting the truck in the garage every day but then it has to come out again at night so the wife can park her ride there
frown.gif

The truck is not my daily driver only driven a couple times a week. So my question is do I have any startup wear to be concerned about when starting the truck a couple of times a day just to move it from the driveway to the garage? Probably more overall wear on the truck as a whole baking in the sun I guess....

No problem really. A little tough on the starter motor maybe, but its under warranty.
Notice the Prius and also other non-hybrids have "Start-Stop" technology which means they start up a lot while driving in city traffic.
What you could do is use a high-ester polar molecule oil like a good name brand synthetic oil or Castrol GTX Magnatec which may help a small bit.

Baking in the sun is doing more damage, build a car port or shelter or keep doing what you’re doing and don’t worry about it.

Yea serious. Sorry ocd. I knew the answer just wanted to post and ask. thx

Its not the best thing for engine or the starter, however I supposed its better than the alternative (car baking in sun). Can you get a car port for the truck?

my brother has a similar but completely different issue. 2 car garage, 4 car driveway, he owns 4 vehicles.

98 Mustang in garage, other half filled with car parts, yard tools, and old computers/parts
he wanted to build a canopy/shade of some sort over the front half of the driveway.

HOA says no way jose.

06 Mustang gets the windows covered with a tarp and super duper magnets, and his 07 Dakota gets parked under a tree. while the 13 Challenger gets baked(DFW area) at home and work.

Last edited:
or buy a car cover...

Between the choices you list, I'd rather leave it outside than start it several times a day without driving very far.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I agree with Clevy. First world problems.

"First world problems" could be the by-line for this entire website, so what makes this guy's question so bad?

I'm going to mention the same product twice in one day on BITOG - Accusump. Overcome your cold start worries, if you have them, in one fell swoop freeing you up to worry about other problems.

I have a similar issue, and I hate starting a vehicle and not letting it get to temp. It makes me crazy. If I have to move a vehicle, it is not uncommon for me to drive it for 10 minutes.

I make (edit: ask nicely) my wife park in the driveway since she parks outside all day anyway, and she leaves before me. We have two other cars and a truck that have to be jockeyed around, I want whatever cars are not being used to be in the garage as much as possible.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: Red91
I agree with Clevy. First world problems.

"First world problems" could be the by-line for this entire website, so what makes this guy's question so bad?

01.gif

Much more damage results from sun. Don't worry about the engine wear on this. Whatever it is it's a lot, lot less than baking in the sun all day.

I would look into the car cover idea, or pick your best vehicle (highest value or whichever you're going to keep the longest) and park that one in the garage permanently.

I would charge the battery overnight every 3 months or so.
A drive of 4 hours or more would count as a full charge too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back