Moving to the country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Older homes from the 40s and older tend to use very wide baseboards and multi-layer trims. Crown moulds in most rooms. Plaster and lathe designs. I'd much rather fix up an older home than build new,cost dependent of course.

Older homes have character and style,not like today's cookie cutter models. Almost like they've got a soul.

Kinda like comparing a 70 mustang fastback big block or a Torino with a 429 vs a mustang 2 from the 70s or a t-bird from the 60s vs one from the 80s.
K maybe that comparison isn't exactly the same but anyone with a lick of sense understands my point.
Putting money into a classic car/home is a labour of love and the property becomes intimately yours.
Catch my drift.

Absolutely. Pre-WWII is my optimal.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I still think its better to buy land, build new house thats modern and don't need time/money spent on repairs. Tom Hanks movie The Money Pit is what happens to many that buy an old house.

For a lot of people that's a good alternative, and it's exactly what we did on our current home. We could have everything done exactly as we wanted, and at this point in my life I don't care to take on renovations. With a new home one can put as much or as little character into it as desired.

Personally I despise plaster/lathe, and I've seen more than enough DIYer messes in older homes to last me a lifetime. I do find it rather comical that when people remodel older homes, rather than stay true to the origins they tend to make them quite modern on the inside. One fellow on here remodeled his kitchen, and after spending a couple years extolling the virtues and superiority of his 40's vintage electric stove, replace it with a thoroughly modern gas range. If he would have stayed true to the "character" concept of the older home he would have stayed with period appropriate appliances as well.

I hate my old house, but it was a camp. Live and learn.

Some days I don't mind the 50mile drive to work, other days I do. Low crime area, listen to the loon in fall/spring. Small town life, various farm markets, garage sales, small town days. The roads around here are narrow, but car traffic is low, and the give good berth when I am on the bicycle. Even the jerks who shout at me will swing wide.

The one downside I have found is, what to do when the car is ailing. When the dealer, car parts place or car rental agency is a half hour away...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I'm the same way,I love old houses. There's nothing I hate more than those brand new houses that look like a McCastle or a cheap apartment,and they're always crammed onto a tiny yard.

That's one thing I really hate about the new home developments, the yards keep getting smaller and smaller. You hardly have any front lawn to mow anymore (and I like mowing my lawn!) Not only that but I have noticed that new areas seem to have streets that aren't as wide anymore, you can barely drive two cars past each other on these streets now, and if people park on the side of the road and then two cars are driving towards each other, one of them has to stop to let the other through! My street is like that and it's super annoying!

I'm not a fan of older homes, I prefer the new stuff, but I like what they are doing in the older neighborhoods in Oakville down by the lake. They are tearing down the homes that were built in the 60s and 70s and putting up new ones. So you get the best of both worlds, you get a nice massive lot and a modern home with all the nice amenities (heated floors, finished basements with media room, etc.) I understand how some people enjoy the character of the homes from the 1800s and 1900s, and Oakville has those too, just off the lake near downtown. They will probably never tear those down, they are historically protected I believe. But the homes built in the 60s and 70s were awful and when I see those get torn down I think it's a good thing.

Oh yes, the post-war era homes were utter garbage, my MIL lives in one, complete junk. It is the really old stuff that has character, anything earlier than or around the turn of the century.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
One fellow on here remodeled his kitchen, and after spending a couple years extolling the virtues and superiority of his 40's vintage electric stove, replace it with a thoroughly modern gas range. If he would have stayed true to the "character" concept of the older home he would have stayed with period appropriate appliances as well.

Wow thats pretty interesting to take THAT swipe at me in this thread. Ive already shown my point and my discussions in the past about gas vs. electric stoves, which clearly indicate that your comprehension is lacking and your understanding of the situation is worse. Yet you repeatedly chest thump about gas stoves while blaming tools for making shoddy food.

Further, it wasn't a 40's stove, it was a 60's stove, so you can't even get your facts right - you probably ought to before going to attack someone. And since you've never actually seen my kitchen, you wouldn't actually know what we researched and what we decided to do in terms of true to the era and true to the form fixtures, cabinets, flooring, etc.

Better luck next time pops.

Go with your gut on this. Growing up in what most would call a "rural" area all of my life it can be kinda lonely sometimes but rural areas have a much greater sense of freedom than cities. However do keep in mind that it is VERY different than urban living. I went to college in a small but densely populated town and being able to walk to everything was great. Where I live, if you don't have a car you're walking 20+ minutes to get to the nearest store.

I'm considering moving to a more urban area so I can meet more people. I'm finding that being in my late 20's, single and working full time yet living in the middle of nowhere you can easily become a hermit.

IMHO rural living is great for people who are settled down with a family already and want freedom, but can get old for someone on their own.

However, when I do get older (whether I am actually "settled" or not) I would prefer a rural area for sure. I think the best combo is to work in an urban area so you get the hustle and bustle and interaction with lots of people yet live in the country where it is quiet, expenses are less and life is more laid back.

Last edited:
couple points not being brought up in this thread:
-how's your internet connection options? you do work in IT/from home sometime?
-you also need to find space to store additional HDD. you know what they are for, don't you??? :p
-i would build a brick outside oven, just for that true pizza or true BBQ

I side with CLEVY, and please do that detailed inspection!!!

Originally Posted By: pandus13
couple points not being brought up in this thread:
-how's your internet connection options? you do work in IT/from home sometime?
-you also need to find space to store additional HDD. you know what they are for, don't you??? :p
-i would build a brick outside oven, just for that true pizza or true BBQ

I side with CLEVY, and please do that detailed inspection!!!

OK, one my wife is back from vacation, that's the plan.

Thanks guys
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Sorry, but the thread title makes me think of this song.

Dude we are like minded individuals
smile.gif
because my first thought was "Gonna eat a lot of peaches."

crackmeup2.gif

OVERKILL, I wish you the best on your move. I actually DO plan on applying for my Passport today.. Just have to find a place that does the photos, and I'm there.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
FedEx does the photos. I think I mentioned that to you in a previous post...

Yes, you likely did.

Ok, heading out to Springfield NJ Rt 22 today then. Thanks!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: Number_35
I agree it's time to move, but 20 km is a long way from work. If the 20 km trip replaces a short car trip, it could be a lot better for your car, letting it warm up properly in the winter.

I'm fortunate in being able to cycle to work three seasons and run or walk in the winter.

What part of Ontario are you in? It's sad to hear that there's so much crime in your area.

20km is not far from work at all. Many people, including my other half drive 80 to 100kms one way to work.

People willing to do that, is why we have so much sprawl in our cities. It's not good for them and it's not good for society in general.

I have a 5 minute commute and can easily walk if necessary.

Is there a particular reason why country homes never seem to have access to natural gas? They all seem to have propane and/or wood burners...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Is there a particular reason why country homes never seem to have access to natural gas? They all seem to have propane and/or wood burners...
Someone has to pay the gas company to run the main out to the property. A secondary reason, at least for wood stoves, is that the neighbors aren't as likely to complain about the smoke.

Originally Posted By: grampi

Yes, because of the cost to run it. No updates, we decided to pass on this place and are still looking.

I will update again if we find something. The biggest issue is that I am quite fond of my current house, which means that I really need to be head-over-heals on a new place. That hasn't happened yet.

Usually it's the cost, grampi. In here, with vast rural areas, the utility, SaskEnergy, doesn't want to be supplying every rural home with natural gas. A former coworker years back had propane and wood heat in her rural home, and asked SaskEnergy about bringing her natural gas lines. They quoted her $30,000, and that was about 18 years ago.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
FedEx does the photos. I think I mentioned that to you in a previous post...

Well, THAT was easy!
laugh.gif

My mugshot photos are developing now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back