To filter change or not to filter change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Honda Pilot
3/2015 Last Oil change with filter
Fram Ultra Mobil 5000 5w-20 installed

here we are 4 month and 4,500 miles later and the OCL has come on

Do I only do an oil dump and fill or swap the filter as well?

What's the consensus?

TIA

Last edited:
If the olm says to change the oil, isn't there oil in the filter?. And if you take the filter off to dump out the oil in it, why not put a new one on?. The filter has whatever dirt and acids that it removed from the current fill. To me, a new filter makes sense. You don't put your dirty clothes back on after a shower do you?.,,

If there is only 4,500 miles on the Ultra it can easily go another run. Is the inside of you engine pretty clean? If so, I'd run it one more time.

OLM, A or B?

Is this one of those Honda's that allows the filter to be changed every other interval?

I'm not so cheap that I don't change the filter regardless of the filter used. If DIY, find a shop that can recycle your old filter so you don't offend the eco-enviro-trolls that demand you never change either.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
If the olm says to change the oil, isn't there oil in the filter?. And if you take the filter off to dump out the oil in it, why not put a new one on?. The filter has whatever dirt and acids that it removed from the current fill. To me, a new filter makes sense. You don't put your dirty clothes back on after a shower do you?.,,

The filter has become more efficient, and the oil isn't acidic, since the used oil in the filter still has additives in it. No offense, but your post is counter-productive.

//

OP, does your owner's manual require an oil filter change every other interval, like most other Hondas?

I'm going to run my Fram Ultra out to ~20k miles or three intervals on my Civic. It's a good filter that can handle it, IMO.

Exactly Zee0Six
smile.gif

One of the main reasons why I started using the Fram Ultra in 2012 was that I could skip a filter change and go 10k miles or 12k. Made me very happy to not have to mess with the filter every other time
smile.gif

I've got M1 0w20 and Fram Ultras stacked deep on the oil shelf. I'm running the FF out until the OLM tells me to change. Then on goes the Ultra and the M1. The Ultra will stay on for two OCI's as per the owners manual.

I'm not sure what the manual says about filters. We bought the car new in 06 with 17 miles on it. Up until this last oc the dealer has been handling the oc's. I blew my lid the last time my wife went in to get the oc, 3 hours later and $34 lighter.

Last edited:
So many people on this site recommend using the Fram ULTRA for multiple oil changes, so I finally decided to try it a few weeks ago.

I drained the oil and kept the old filter on.

The very next morning I checked my oil and it was considerably dirty/dark compared to how it should look 12 hours after an OCI.

I didn't realize just how much oil comes out when I remove the filter, not to mention the filter itself being full of dirty oil.

I won't be doing it again.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

Dont break the seal. Gasket might not be good for another use.

The 3 ounces of oil in the filter is not going to make a hill of beans difference, in the grand scheme of things. Might give him a TBN of 7.4 instead of 7.5 with a complete change; a miniscule inconsequential difference.

On a clean non-sludged engine, the filter actually filters better up to a point the longer you use it. I would bet $500 that the OP could go 25k miles on a Fram Ultra with his oil change interval, and it would be fine. Oil filters have a lot more filtering capacity than you think.

I run Fram Ultra's for 15K miles and have done it for years. Heck, I used to run cheap white can Purolators for 20K miles.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
So many people on this site recommend using the Fram ULTRA for multiple oil changes, so I finally decided to try it a few weeks ago.

I drained the oil and kept the old filter on.

The very next morning I checked my oil and it was considerably dirty/dark compared to how it should look 12 hours after an OCI.

I didn't realize just how much oil comes out when I remove the filter, not to mention the filter itself being full of dirty oil.

I won't be doing it again.

Since when oil color is an indicator of ... ANYTHING!

On the other hand, warranty could be a concern; as for quality FU is pretty good given all the C&P

Your OLM monitor has come on because the algorithm assumes you have the shorter-lived dino oil in there. Reset it, but run the oil and filter another 4500 miles. Honda oil filter change is usually every other OC with good clean engines.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Since when oil color is an indicator of ... ANYTHING!

It's an indicator of contaminants.

I was under the impression that Mobil 5000 was a conventional Dino oil. I chose it only because the dealer said they used Mobil 1 as their bulk oil. I assumed it was 5000 as that's Mobil's introductory line.

As far as a clean engine..... I would have to say it has to be. My wife never went over 6k miles without an OC

Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman
I was under the impression that Mobil 5000 was a conventional Dino oil.

It is dino oil.

I think your dealer is mistaken or fibbing when they told you they use Mobil 1 and you paid $34. I just changed oil in two cars, one exactly at 5k the other at 6.5K, both had black oil, coal black in the recycling jug. The filters were black too, more on the 6.5 K one which used a Fram Ultra. Both Toyotas that use no oil one at 55K the other 147K. The manual isn't a legal requirement to follow. Do what you want.

The data that I have gathered with all of my vehicles suggests that you are absolutely correct. My benchmark has been particle count at the time of UOA to determine filter efficiency. I change oil in my cars at ~7500 miles. After the first 7500 miles I have a particle count added to the UOA. At the next 7500 mile oil change I now have 15k on the filter. The particle count is much lower, by a factor of 10. At the third 7500 mile interval the particle count is reduced by another significant amount. my Toyota Tacoma with the 2.4L engine at 290k miles is now going on it's fifth 7500 mile oil interval without being changed. The particle counts remain low. I will know when the filter media has reached saturation as the particle counts will start to come back up. I'll probably change the filter at 45k anyway.

The data is absolutely convincing that the oil cleanliness gauged by particle count improves dramatically with longer oil filter change intervals.

After I drain the oil I put 1.5 quarts of fresh oil in the motor and idle it for a minute. Then I drain that oil out. This flushes the filter and the passages in the motor. Now it's just a fill up with fresh oil and I'm confident I've changed nearly all the oil.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back