HF 6.25gal oil extractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-quarter-gallon-oil-extractor-46149.html

Went and purchased one today. It has good reviews.
my small air compressor powers it just fine.

only problem is the quick connect is bizarre.

It has a female with check valve and a wierd male with hose barb that's not standard.

2015-07-26%2015.21.29.jpg

Anyone know what type of fitting that is? The profile doesn't match any regular industrial,commercial, or automotive style quick connect I've seen.

So I went and got a 1/4" ball valve and some accessories. works great now.

My other option was to go buy a short hose and cut off one end and and clamp to the hose barb.

paid 115$+tax +6$ for parts to make it work.

or about 130$ total.
2015-07-26%2015.21.19.jpg

after I changed out the wierd fittings

Last edited:
I thought that was one of those I/M type (non auto) couplers. Hose barb on the other side to make custom lines easy.

Why didn't you get one with a pump, rather than one that pumps based upon wasting compressed air?

I was told there are 3 different types of quick connect connectors on fuel pressure test gauges.

Even some of HF own air hose connectors do not fit what they are designed to fit too well (poor tolerance).

So lots of non standard stuff out there.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I thought that was one of those I/M type (non auto) couplers. Hose barb on the other side to make custom lines easy.

Why didn't you get one with a pump, rather than one that pumps based upon wasting compressed air?

Its not an I/M its profile is way different.

No normal quick connects fit

The female and male part are both some oddball size

It uses a venturi type setup to pull a vacuum. Takes about 30s.

I've had previous manual models and they dont seem to last very long. My topsider needed 2 sets of seals in 4 years. And I had a Mityvac prior to that.. which self destructed fairly quickly. I think it was the Mityvac-7201.

This seems like it will last a long time and its vary convenient for use where you are occasionally sucking air such as emptying differentials.

I considered a pela 650 but those are around 105-110$ so I figured I'd try this powered one out.

You can also build the vacuum and roll it to the car unconnected as well. Although I have a 50ft retractable reel in the garage which makes it easy.

Here is a closeup next to a regular I/M type connector
the length as well as everything else is way off.

2015-07-26%2020.05.02.jpg

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Is there a way to pressurize the tank to empty it out?

There is a large metal cap that unscrews. Its not too heavy to dump. Even full(6gal) its probably ~~60lb or less.

Last edited:
I've been using this for 2 years. Just be careful not to Impact the plastic oil level display. That sucker will break easy. Not hard to replace, but will leak.

How small is your compressor? Mine is really small. 1.5hp and I think 4 gallons. I didn't figure that was enough to power that. I bought the topsider and used it the other day on 2 oil changes. My boat and my truck. Very impressed with it as long as the oil is warm. That's only 2 so far but I was thinking it would be a good idea to get some extra gaskets in case I lose them or they stop sealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back